Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to cause a scheduled task to run, no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3z33

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2005
US
running xp pro, creating a scheduled task as a user with local admin rights.

Run As: is set correctly, with the correct password.
Run only if logged on is NOT checked.
Enabled is checked.

The task runs correctly when logged in as the user who created it, but when logged in as a different user, it does not run at all.

Is it possible to use some type of system creds or something to make a task run no matter what (like even if its sitting at the the CTRL+ALT+ DEL login screen?)

thanks!

When it asks whom to run it as use system. This seems to work for me.

Franklin97355

I have been having the same problem as 3z33 and I have just tried your suggestion (before reading your post), but it did not work. I have checked the log and it says

ERROR **
The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed, therefore, the task did not run.

The specific error is:
0x8007052e: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

(This is with RunAs = NT Authority\System)

Do you have any more suggestions?

Have you tried to run it with "Run only if logged on" checked.
(As administrator)

temporello

As far as I am aware, this is not an option on Service Pack 1, and I have not yet installed Service Pack 2. But I thought this new feature was provided to restrict the running of scheduled tasks only when the user is logged on, rather than to allow a scheduled task to run when the user is not logged on.

I should have mentioned in my question that I am wanting my scheduled task when another user is logged on (a limited user account)

I have SP2.
Strangely,when the incriminated checkbox isn't checked,the processes appear in task manager ONLY...
When I check it,then the programs start normally.
So basically my current interpretation is that if I check the "Run only if logged on" means that the program will start if somebody,anybody is logged on!?
Doesn't make too much sense...
You should experiment with the settings...

I have now installed Service Pack 2, removed the tick from Run only when logged on and we seem to be cooking with gas!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back