Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to build up my career on programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neltan

Programmer
Nov 4, 2002
AU
I am working as a system developer in a SME.
I have more interest and experience in building web application using JSP/Servlet.
And I have the experience on :
- ASP, PHP
- Java, VB, Access
- Linux, Apache, Tomcat.
- Postgresql, Mysql, MSSQL.

I graduated from CS degree in Hong Kong and working for 1yr in COMPAQ (business), and 2yrs in an SME (social serivce, now working here).
I am 26 yrs old and get married with no child.

I have a DREAM to work as a programmer in a western country (I prefer Germany, US or Australia) after 2-3 years. And I would like to earn more $$.

Q1. What do I need? more professional certificate, master, language?

Q2. I would like know more about the working and skill requirement in your company (country), and the goods and bads.

Q3. I feel that I can learn (of course, earn) more in large company. Experience in large company can also pave the way to work outside. Am I right?

Q4. Can you give me some advise on career planning?

I am sure that I don't speak for everyone here in America but my first bit of advise would be to learn the English language better or German, or whatever language is spoken in the country you choose.

I am saying this because most people have a difficult time dealing with people that cannot speak their language fluently. It makes it tough to be expressive. This will turn some employers off and they will pass you over even if you are qualified for the job.

So, my advise, get very comfortable with the language of the country that you are wanting to move to.

Hope this helps out.

Noble D. Bell

---------------------------------------
Noble D. Bell

DeanConsulting :

Errrmmm .... Hong Kong was leased by the British from China in 1898 for 99 years (handed back in 1997). I find that generally Hong Kong'ers speak better English than "native English speaking" countries.

(My uncle lived in HK for 25 years & I have visited twice).

sedj - I think DeanConsulting's remarks were based strictly on the original post as written.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

My suggestion, simply put, is this: You cannot get a good paying job in programming if you cannot be expressive and communicate. Hence, you need to be able to speak and write the language of the country where you want to work in order to communicate and be expressive.

One of the main reasons people are outsourcing projects to India, etc.. is because the work can be done at a much cheaper price.. But, the trade off is that most of the people doing the work cannot communicate or express.

I know this, I have been there, I have seen how it works. I am not trying to condemn anyone or any country. The question asked what would be some suggestions to better their chances at a good job. I offered mine.

---------------------------------------
Noble D. Bell

In my opinion, neltan's English is very, very good ... so I fail to see how saying in effect "learn better English" is offering any decent advice ...

Given that you haven't spoken with neltan (I'm assuming here) and DeanConsulting did not overtly disparage his written language skills I'm not sure you are able to make an assessment of his English.

I work with a few recent immigrants from India. From an e-mail you would not know they are recently immigrated. Sitting in a meeting however, you may run into some trouble, particularly when they are speaking to one another and you are the thrid party.

It is my opinion that it is decent advice.

Neltan,
I would suggest that you add .NET and a reporting product to your skill-base. I am in data-reporting and see your skills listed with mine (Crystal) all the time in job advertisements. However, I think you will do well with your current skills.

Q2: To know more about job/skill requirements take a look at Monster.com, or jobcircle.com and you will get an idea of what is currently expected. Hold onto your hat, it can be quite a laundry list.

As to Q3, I am currently working for a very large company 30K+ employees. I am not able to learn as much here as I did in smaller companies because job descriptions are able to be more focused/specific, but there is some feeling of job security. In smaller companies I have had to learn more technologies because there was not someone else with the skill in the cube next to me. I have earned at relatively the same at both small and large companies.

Thank you, sedj, for admiring my English.

Actually, DeanConsulting, is right.
If user tell me their requirement in English, it would take me N times the effort to understand than in my native language.

In Hong Kong, we study English from kidergarden (3yr old). However, I'm not confident in communicating in English, and no need to said "expressive".
Most of Hong Kong people, are exam-oriented (so am I), we seldom practice English after school!
Luckily, IT and Internet force me to continue my life in English, otherwise, ...

Thanks DeanConsulting, improving English is now on my todo-list.

Thadeus, I have Indian colleagues when I was in internship in Compaq. They have strong accent.
Will accent of non-English people rebel people? A friend who went to workcamp (of course Chinese), have such feeling.

I have more interest in Java and open source. Can I escape from .NET?

Because I have bad experience in Microsoft's program.
I learn ASP & VB for 1 year. Then it copy the concept from Java's OO and change all it structure to .NET!
I feel Microsoft is not wise in language design. It just follow others.
If I continue my life in Microsoft, I am afraid that I need to
1. upgrade all the times and
2. add more service pack on my head, or
3. may be the worst case: re-install everything on my head!

And Java is more mature in the language structure and extensible. What you did and learn will not be useless, it's important!

I did not create crystal report, only use it for web reporting using ASP or JSP. And I used JasperReport in my JSP webapp.

neltan,
It sounds as though you have a desirable set of skills. Desirable in the East Coast US job market at least (I can't speak for the rest of the country)

I did not feel that you have to have the .NET or Crystal, I was just offering a suggestion... If you are a quality programmer with the skills you listed, you will do well.

BTW, I did not mean to imply that there is a bias against my Indian co-workers. I get along with them just fine and we work together on multiple projects... I was just saying that the language barrier can be difficult at times, particularly on phone meetings. If you feel the need to put it on your list of TO-DOs then you are probably wise to do so.

Lastly, there are a few good forums here on Tek-Tips where you can get a better feel for the English language quirks. One is Wordplay and the other is Making an Impression. There are many non-native English speakers on the forums and they comment often on the idiomatic differences and how simple phrases like 'That's water under the bridge' or 'ways to skin a cat' can be very difficult to grasp when you have no reference point. Check them out....

~Thadeus

Thank you for all of your reply.

You has given me some insight on my career.

I will keep on improving myself.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back