Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to boot Windows 2000 professional in dos mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

Please help to know how to boot windows 2000 professional in dos mode.

thanks

Win2K doesn't have a DOS mode like the various Win9X's.

What do you want to boot into DOS for?

Win2K does have a Command Prompt mode. It is very limited in what it can do there. What is it you are tying to do? Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

You CAN boot to DOS using a special boot disk that can read NTFS hard drives. I can't remember what the name of the boot disk app was called. I read on Techrepublic.com . You might try searching through their archives for it. If I can find it, I'll post it on here for ya.

You have two options:

(1) As far as I know, the DOS NTFS route gives you read only access to your hard disk.

(2) Linux boot disks with NTFS support will give you write access to NTFS - but my last experience with Linux NTFS drivers resulted in a completely corrupted volume - but that was accessing NTFS volumes from native Linux.

So, back to the original question - why do you want to access Win2K from DOS mode?

I found the 3rd party utility I was thinking of earlier. It's called NTFSDOS which can be downloaded(read-only version) or ordered (full read-write access) from
I, too, wonder why you would need to boot to DOS, but I just can't resist a good challenge and I hate to be told 'you can't' <g>

I was trying to customize the start button. In such case i need to boot in dos prompt inorder to change the explorer.exe. As it is known when it is booted with windows it uses the explorer.exe so no modification can be done with the file.

If you modify the Winlogon part of the registry
and select a shell different from explorer.exe
to be started, then it should be possible to
edit the original shell in the next session.

Hi all !
I need to boot windows 2000 in dos too flash my bios..
I have ntsf file system.

Thanx =)
Best regards Dr Dave

Here's the Microsoft method of creating a bootable NTFS disk with read/write access to the partition without using a third-party utility:
DrDaveSWE - Note that many BIOS programs will not work from a bootable NTFS floppy. In any case, most BIOS updates also don't need to access the physical disk - only memory - and thus don't care if it's NTFS or FAT. You should be able to do a BIOS update from ANY Win9x bootable disk, and wherever you downloaded this form should have said something to this effect...?
Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

Rajan,

Just go into task manager and goto processes and End Process to explorer.exe but make sure before you do that you have command prompt open to rename it with the modified one. Then once you have renamed it go into task manager again and goto applications and do Add New Task and go to explorer.exe and there you go. new start button.

For me, the main reason to access a NTFS partition from dos, was to recover some data before a big format :]
Not so hard to imagine.

L8er, enjoy,

Gen

Dos this mean the Dos based programs such as FOXPRO DOS 2.5 will stop working altogether? Does anyone have any experience using the Foxpro Dos application in Win 2000?
Thanks.

-- Art

A Win 2000 computer crashed... basically there is a Kernel Exception Error 01E, so I can't even get to safe mode. Repair / ERD did not work at all. 2000 tries to load, but reboots on exception error. I have to just get rid of a <.dll> file that is causing the errors, but I have nothing that will boot from a: and Read/Write NTFS. What does it?... without buying any 3rd party stuff

Boot and pick F8 when available and pick last known good configuration.

Tried F8 and &quot;Last Known Good Config&quot;. Tried everything else also, like ERD and Recovery Console and repairing off 2000 Pro OS CD...

Create an NTFS boot floppy

1.DISKCOPY the first Setup Disk.
2.Delete all files on this new Boot Floppy.
3.Copy NTDETECT.COM and BOOTSECT.DOS from your root to the floppy(If DOS is installed).
4.Copy NTLDR from your root to the floppy, renaming it SETUPLDR.BIN
5.COPY NTBOOTDD.SYS from your root to the floppy.
6.Copy your C:\BOOT.INI

I recently had the same problem (needed to have a pure DOS OS and am running Win2K). I suugest using a DOS boot floppy. a number of boot images can be found at the following website:

Also, there is a bootdisk creator on the win2k CD in a &quot;BOOTDISK&quot; directory.

Hope that helps. I wasted a whole evening trying to figure that out...

DrDaveSWE:

You dont have to go through all this heartache to flash your BIOS

Here is how:

1-Download BIOS from the manufacturer
2-Click on downloaded file to install on floppy
3-Restart with floppy in the drive
4-Respond to prompts confirming BIOS upgrade
5-Reboot system with diskette removed

NOTE:Boot sequence in BIOS must be first changed to drive A: if it defaults to primary hard drive or CD-ROM

Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back