Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Boot from the Mirror Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexRabbot

Programmer
Nov 15, 2003
US
How can I boot the system from the mirror disk, because the main hard disk crashed? I am not sure which Solaris version is installed, but I think it's 2.8.
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Was the mirror added to the boot device list? What do you see when you do a printenv boot-device at the ok prompt? If it lists two devices, it can be as simple as boot <2nd device>.

If you never defined the the alternate boot alias, it might be possible to boot off one of the default alternate devices that exist in the Open Boot PROM. These run from disk0...to...disk6 and are tied to the internal SCSI controller - something that can pose a problem if you are on an IDE system. Failing that, you can always use probe-scsi-all to get a list of devices and find the path to the secondary disk.

There's a whole host of possibilities. Are you using Veritas or DiskSuite to do the mirroring?

Cheers,

Keith
keith@duffin.org

Keith,
We used DiskSuite to do mirroring.

Thanks,
Alex

If printenv boot-device (as keith said) shown the boot device as disk try boot disk1 which is a common setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back