Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to block ppl from flood mail ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckchia

MIS
May 10, 2002
SG
How do i block ppl from using my SMTP as a Mail Attack ?

block them in the configuration document :

Router/SMTP
Restrictions and Controls
SMTP Inbound COntrols

Deny messages from the following internet addresses/domains:

-> fill in their email address... --------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post was helpfull, please click below to let me know !

but then those ppl are using Dialup. ?

to disable smtp mail relaying from your box completely set the following in the server's Name and Address Book (NAB), server-configurations/ configuration document for your server:

Router/SMTP
SMTP Inbound COntrols

Deny messages from the following external internet hosts to be sent to external internet domains: *

this way it won't accept incoming smtp connections for messages addressed to non-local domains.

cheers. Woonjas
IRC: #notes on EFNet

are you looking to deny relaying on your machine ? or do you just want to block a couple of people from using your smtp server ?? --------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?

Peter, I will liketo deny relaying on my SMTp :)

THank.

Edit the configuration document,
go to Router/SMTP
SMTP Inbound COntrols

Allow messages from external internet domains to be sent only to the following internet domains:
(leave blank)

Deny messages from external internet domains to be sent to the following internet domains: *

Allow messages only from the following external internet hosts to be sent to external internet domains:
(leave blank)

Deny messages from the following external internet hosts to be sent to external internet domains: *

In the Global Domain document, set your internet domain name :
Go to the 'conversion' tab,
Under 'local primary internet domain', fill in your domain name (e.g. mycompany.com)

Next edit notes.ini
add these lines :
SMTP_OCH_REJECT_SMTP_ORIGINATED_MESSAGES=1
SMTPMTA_ALLOW_KNOWN_DOMAINS=1
SMTPMTA_RELAY_FORWARDS=1
SMTPALLHOSTSEXTERNAL=1

You might also want to change the default DOmino SMTP banner to something else :
SMTPGreeting="SMTP Gateway ready at %s"

Warning : do NOT use SMTPMTA_REJECT_RELAYS=1 because it will change the way how the SMTP MTA handles incoming emails

Save notes.ini, reboot the server and it will not relay anymore

good luck

(PS : you can test if your server allows relaying on
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back