Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Block Kazaa with Linksys BEFSR41 Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

changky

Technical User
Apr 20, 2003
PH
I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router and I want to block the use of KAZAA on my network since it drains all the network resources. How do I go about it?

kaaza uses port 1214

Just block this port by going to admin in router, click advanced, select filters and type 1214 in both columns (under Private Port Range) then click apply!

Cheers

Unfortunately, Kazaa can use alternative ports, including port 80.

I do not think your solution will come from focusing on the router. You should have a clear acceptable use policy for users of the network. You must enforce it. Having the policy in place, here are some suggestions for limiting or eliminating the traffic:

. Net Nimbus (freeware) . PortsLock . Bandwidth Controller[/red] . Sygate Office . Net Peeker . Net Limiter
Finally, you can use the freeware toolkit "pstools" from to regularly scan network clients for the process ids of common p2p applications, record them to a log, and remotely kill the process. Many of them have no provision for changing their PID, so this can be easily scripted.

Thanks for the tip. I have Sygate Office, but I used it before to share my DSL connectioon with the rest of the network. Now that I have a Linksys Router, I don't use Sygate anymore. How can I use the two together to limit the traffic on my network?

Thanks.

I would check the Sygate Forum, but I think you would disable DHCP on the router, and put it in router instead of Gateway mode.

Sygate would handle DHCP and NAT, the Linksys IP (make sure it is outside the DHCP scope of the Sygate at a fixed IP) would be the IP given for outside DNS services.

But I would check as I have never set it up this way.
I see no reason it would not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back