Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to block file types? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinnt

MIS
Feb 11, 2002
US
Hi,

I would like to know how to block certain file types on in coming (out going too maybe?) email from the exchange server. Extentions such as .exe, .scr, .bat, .pif, and much more... Some places say that this can only be done from outlook but others have hinted to this ability being present on the Exchange server.

Thanks!

It can't be done via Exchange Server. With Outlook 2K SP2, just about 90% of file attachments are blocked by default. However, you can modify this behavior with the Outlook Security Settings Public Folder addition and a small registry change. Other than that, it's 3rd party only.

We have done this by using Antigen from Sybari.
It's a great antivirys tool, and it also has a feature to block attachments.

/johnny

We are using 5.5 on a 2k server and I chose to install McAfee Groupshield for Exchange. Since then we have gotten @ 10 virus emails a day, but with 95% of the attachments blocked and the other scanned heavily we havent seen a email virus infection since the original Nimbda, which was before I put that SW on. Check it out, we love it:

We use Trend's Scanmail for Exchange, it's pricey, but very stable, and blocks everything under the .sun :)

Doug

If you use Norton AntiVirus for Exchange, the registry has to be modified to block the different extensions you want blocked. The registry key to do that is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\NAVMSE\2.1\BlockingPolicy\Attachment

You will need to create an individual value for each extension you want blocked. Assuming I have two extensions that I want to block, I would create two String entries as follows:

AttachmentNames0
AttachmentNames1

A couple of valid values for one of these entries would be:

*.doc
*.pif

Make sure that you follow the numbering order for the entry names. Start with AttachmentNames0 followed by AttachmentNames1 then AttachmentNames2, and so forth. If you remove an extension from the list, make sure that the entries are properly renamed so that there are no gaps in the numbering.

ShackDaddy

Interesting.... Motor, I have seen and heard many good things about Trend's products! Do any of you know if there is a way with the old versino of InoculateIT by Computer Associates?

I've been very happy with the Trend products, we have the entire suite. With Trend, there is a field you just type all the extensions that you want to block, and viola. We block just about everything, with the assumption that users can put documents into shared folders on the network and not pass them around through email. It works well...in theory :)

Don't know much about InnoculateIT...

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back