Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to block a IP address for the spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

karsh

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2002
IN
is there any place in Exchange where i can specify that EMAILS should be rejected from a a particular IP address should be blocked....
Any more suggestions about fighting the spam with any tools of Exchange?/
thanks

Try using Anti SPAM ware instead. GFI is good or there is also hardware solution that block out keywords. This is better then banned mail address or IP Address. SPAMMER will use spoofed Mail or ISP Assigned DHCP IP address to spam you.

Most of them now uses Local SMTP engine without having to hop through ISP. therefore any RDNS will return a non MX record. Keyword is still one of the most effective ways.

I know no voice, I knew not systems,
i know NUTS on networking, Therefore I dont know anything!
------------------------------------
©2003,2004 SCHT.

Yes there is a place in exchange that you can enter IP's to block. You can do this if you see a lot of spam coming from one IP.
1. Open Ex sys manager
2. Right click on default SMTP select properties
3. Under the access tab select connection
4. Select "All except the list below"
5. Click on add and enter the IP you do not want connecting to you server.

I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

If using certain types of antispam or SMTP filtering [like Symantec] you can specify black-list servers. that has helped our organization quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back