Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to bleed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusterbed

Technical User
Oct 25, 2002
CA
i am trying to print a document ant want to be sure that it bleeds off the paper...i read that you can do this in separations dialog box, but when i click on file, separation option is unavailable...how do i fix this?

the only way i'v been taugh is... is to make the whole page slightly (selectall) larger or just the side color. takes like two seconds to do it that way.

Here's the most efficiant way.
Set your Document Setup to exactly the size of the finished piece. Now show your rulers and double-click where they meet to reset your zero,zero point. Now show your transform dialoge and change the pivot from the center square to the lower left square. Now you just need to do a little math. For example, if your printed piece is to be 7x10 inches and your printer calls for a .25 inch bleed all the way around, your artwork needs to be at least 7.5x10.5 inches in order to hang off the edge a full quarter inch on all sides. Now simply select all the art and change its X and Y coordinates in the transfrom pallette to -.25. Now your art should be bleeding out on all sides of your artboard. Now the natural crop marks provided by Illustrator will be in the right place by default. You will however have to print on larger paper to see the crop marks.

AI's separations dialoge can be a bit annoying, espessially with type since it trys to compensate for the whole path, not just the text which is why I suggest saveing your art as an .eps at any size and doing all the bleed tricks I showed you in quark or indesign where is as simple as makeing your placement box .25 inches (or whatever the printer calls for) larger than the page size. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back