Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to begin install of OSX 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

garwain

Programmer
Jan 30, 2002
CA
I just recieved OSX.2 CDs, and want to install it on a powerPC. The PowerPC has OS9 installed, but someone set a password on it, so I can't get into the OS itself. I don't care about anything on the machine, I just want a working OS.

I've had very little experiance with macs. I work with linux and windows, so please bare with me if my terminology is wrong, but how would I format and begin the install process? I have tried booting with the CD in the CD-drive, but it still took me to the login screen, so I assume there is no autoboot.

Thanks for helping out a new Mac user.

Put CD in drive, hold down C and start - this boots to CD. Then run the drive setup utility which allows you to delete the partition.

I'm not certain what partition is being referred to above but that could just be my ignorance.

OS X launches some yet-to-be-ported-to-X applications in the "Classic" environment. What that basically means is that OS 9 launches in the background of X. Therefore it's advisable to have OS 9.2 installed. But that is not critical because in your case you may only be running X applications and never need the classic environment.

The install of X will work as outlined in the previous post - booting to the cd by holding down the "C" key from a cold boot.

If you want a speedier install of X I'd advise shutting off the foreign language files by using the "Custom" tab in the installer interface.

macgeneral

sorry, mac, meant that garwain should delete the OS partitions on the disk which will properly install the OS without troubles.

OS 9 installs by default under OS X, termed classic mode now. But it doesn't load all control panels so several apps just don't run. It doesn't load in the background on loading, only when you fire an OS 9 app.

Custom app is always a good idea and remove anything you don't need.

Doesn't really matter. I managed to hack the password on the machine, and found that OSX doesn't install on it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back