Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to become a Project Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytee123

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2011
Please I need an advise on how I could become a Project Manager.I have a first degree in English/Art and I am presently working as a Manager in a firm in Nigeria.

check Project Management Institute can train and certify project managers and is internationally recognized.

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

I think it's definitely worth checking out PMI. Here are another couple of tips:

- Buy some books that walk you through practical project management
- Start volunteering inside and outside of the office to get some experience in basic project management.

The more information you can consume, and the more you can practice it the better. A little experience + the PMI qualification and you'd be halfway there :)

Arval
Program Manager

You have two options - PMP or PRINCE2. PRINCE2 is more UK based, and teaches you a new methodology altogether. PMP, on the other hand, is a collection of best practices.

I did both, but I'd suggest start with PMP, as PMP is more 'globally known'. Have you looked at vendors yet? PMP with Firebrand is pretty good IMO.

Hope it helps!

Hi,

I have around 5 years IT experience in Windows Servers with Vmware and have worked with several project managers in transitions, I would like to move towards the project manager role. Im in the UK and heard a lot about Prince2, is the training neccessary or is it possible to study and write the exam. Also Im looking for internships in this area and would appreciate any tips regarding showing specific work exp's pertaining to project management on my CV. What would employers look for in a IT Technical based CV liek mine

Please advice
Thanks
Saimeet

Similar to learning a foreign language the best and most effective way to learn is immersion. Offer to take on managing a project in your current role or perhaps find a lean organization where roles are not always clearly defined and step up and take the lead on an upcoming initiative.

"Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success."
Dale Carnegie

I'd recommend earning your PMP and gaining some leadership experience. If you are not in a management position, you can still lead activities in your workplace that can help drive results. Just take partners with your manager and propose some sort of contest or competition. Here's a great article outlining some of the intrinsic benefits of motivating through incentives: Hope that helps!

Those enrolling in a project management Master’s program should be prepared to take courses beyond the field of management including mathematics, statistics, written and oral communication. A Master in Project Management is one of the most versatile degrees a college student could earn; it is also one of the most in-demand credentials among employers in the 21st century. Learn more about How Do I Get a Master’s Degree in Project Management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back