Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to bar/block outgoing internal calls? 1

sanniadnan

Technical User
Oct 30, 2019
BD
Dear All,
The client wants to block all outgoing calls (both internal and external) on certain extensions of Avaya IP Office (Server Edition). I have tried several methods but have been unsuccessful in blocking internal calls. For example, Extension 4001 should not be able to call any other local extensions. The call bar option seems to work only for external calls, not internal ones. Do you have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

A dialplan applied to the locked-down extensions wouldn't work?

Dear All,
The client wants to block all outgoing calls (both internal and external) on certain extensions of Avaya IP Office (Server Edition). I have tried several methods but have been unsuccessful in blocking internal calls. For example, Extension 4001 should not be able to call any other local extensions. The call bar option seems to work only for external calls, not internal ones. Do you have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thank you.
Build two short codes in the users Short code tab. I the example below this prevents the user to call extensions that begin with 1 and will allows the user to press 2 and it will call extension 1104. Hope this help.Internal Extensions.PNG

Short codes won't work!

When you dial a number, the system checks in order:

Extensions
Groups
User short codes
System Short codes

If it finds a match at any point, it will route. If no match is found, it follows the default system short code "?" if that's not there, the call fails.

@Magixman - As @Ekster say, using just short codes will not work.

As details in the other thread in my first answer:
  1. Add the NoUser source number ENABLE_INTERNAL_BARRING
  2. I don't know if the system needs to be rebooted, I always do for any NoUser source number changes.
  3. For the user for which internal barring is required, now you can add user short codes using the Barred action and matching the extension numbers that you don't want them to dial.

Short Codes
Short codes entered in this list can only be dialed by the user. They will override any matching user rights or system short code.

User and User Rights short codes are only applied to numbers dialed by that user. For example they are not applied to calls forwarded via the user.

Please note that this will work I have set this up and it works fine.

Build two short codes in the users Short code tab. I the example below this prevents the user to call extensions that begin with 1 and will allows the user to press 2 and it will call extension 1104. Hope this help.View attachment 10
Short Codes
Short codes entered in this list can only be dialed by the user. They will override any matching user rights or system short code.

User and User Rights short codes are only applied to numbers dialed by that user. For example they are not applied to calls forwarded via the user.

@Magixman - It will only work on systems with fudged dial delay counts and timers, and users not using phones or apps that do anything like dialling from a directory, speed dials, en-bloc dialing, etc, etc, etc. Share your config and I'll tell you a dozen ways that users could bypass your pretend internal call barring.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back