Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to backup the system? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgarciber

Programmer
Jul 21, 2010
VE
hello friends,

which are the directories and files should I backup in case of re-installation of the system?
SCO OpenServer 6.0 operating system
I have cdrom and floppy media

regards

apropos backup

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

sorry if I did not do well the question
but could be more descriptive in your reply
thanks

I want to know what directories and files should copy in a safe place in case you need to re-install the system, the file of users and other settings to be restored to use the same users and passwords, and the same previously configured printers.
thank you very much
regards

My experience has been OS5 so it may not apply.

Because of the way everything works together there is no one group of files or directories that can be singled out as not required to be backed up. As a result, there are no specific files that can be considered as the important ones.

If you are considering what is going to be needed if you have to reload the system from scratch then you need:

Load media, CD and floppy if that is the way it is loaded

backup software for restore

hard drive divisions layout, found using divvy

multiport settings and ttytype settings

user names, passwords, and .profiles if non-standard

patchs that need to be installed

application software that needs to be installed and how to install it

printer names, models, and hardware connections

any dial up stuff that may be installed

I have hardcopy of all of this for each machine I service. The user data and user programs are backed up twice each night, once to a backup hard drive, then the image of that is burned to CD and is recoverable into the new system if
the data hard drive crashes.

Others have suggested backup software. I concur. I prefer edge, have used lonetar, but have also had success using dd and tar for various purposes. You have to make your choice of media and implement it in such a way that your data is recoverable.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Run, do not walk, to and D/L the 60 day full function demo of BackupEdge, which includes RecoverEdge - in my admittedly prejudiced opinion (I'm a certified dealer for Edge) the best bare metal emergency CD boot and restore software for SCO and Linux. It uses any full Edge backup for the restore, no special backups for emergency restores needed.

You'll also get bit level and check-summed verifies, automatic late night highly compressed backups and the ability to backup to just about anything (Tape, DVD's and other removable media, the Amazon S3 cloud service, ANY machine with an FTP server, NAS, iSCSI etc.).

Rolling your own restore DVD/CD is just asking to find out the hard way you forgot something when you really need it to work.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Howto create a boot CD of BackupEdge from microlite and boot from this CD to imaging whole SCO 5.0.6 system?
I'd like to restore the image on other hardware.

From my experiences with SCO stuff from earlier versions, restoring a system image to other hardware has a near 0% chance of working well, if at all.

You might as well expect to take the boot drive out of the original machine and put it into new hardware and have it work.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Using the RecoverEdge boot CD, you can move to another machine as long as you are moving to the same type of hard drive as the original (I.E. SCSI to SCSI, IDE to IDE), and you enabled BTLD support when you created the boot CD.

Enabling BTLD support lets you move from one SCSI adapter to another, like from blad to ad160 for example.

RecoverEdge also includes the SCO tools to create new partitions using fdisk and divvy on bare drives.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

We use SCO 6's built-in functions to create a bootable CD and tape image.

Create Emergency CD

o identify and configure CD (as root)
cdrecord –scanbus
vi /etc/default/cdrecord - change ide to the cd drive

o Read/Write media must be formatted. Skip this step unless the CD is R/W
- cdrecord blank-fast

o Create ISO image
/sbin/emergency_disk –d /tmp –i /tmp -m cdrom

o Burn image to CD
cdrecord -v driveropts=burnfree dev=4,0,0 –data /tmp/drf.image.iso

o Reboot to test

o Eject CD