Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to backup settings etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyabc

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2004
IN
How can I save as many as possible of my settings so I can avoid having to reset on a format? I am talking about for e.g. startup settings, desktop icons shortcut keys etc.

Firstly, I would make sure you backup the system state

What you are looking for is a checkbox when you make a backup using Microsofts builtin program in the Accessories, System Tools.

Here is more information on what the System State backup will do for you.

Guy Thomas

Scripting Ezine

The backup was about 200 MB using the system state option ALONE. This looks like the entire OS - that would make me even happier if it means I don't have to go through the installation procedure.

PS what about desktop icon shortcut keys, startup programs etc?

Sound like you want to backup the user profile...

This aritcle goes into more detail...

I'm only hesitant regarding a system state backup is due to the fact they are used to restore to a more stable state and done right after an OS install.

However, you'll be backing up your current system state and replacing the newly installed system state if you're doing a "reset on a format".

Yes thanks, I was. But GuyThomas' tip is intriguing - I tried it and its not only copying things like the Registry, its also copying e.g. the OLE service files etc. As I mentioned, about 200 MB looks like a full OS backup so I would like to know if W2KP can be installed from the boot disks and the system state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back