Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to backup pst of 1.5 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

karsh

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2002
IN
can i split the pst file or zip or any other option of backing it up??
please any suggestions will be really appreciated.
thanks

You should split it up wether you are going to back up or not - you are close to the point of corruption. While in Outlook, File, New, Personal folders file. If needed, open the folder list & move some of the records to the new pst file. Then, right-click and close the pst file that will be less used.

Everything I have ever read says a .pst will corrrupt at 1 GB. I have seen them corrupt at 750 MB. Before I would do anything that changes the structure I would delete some of those emails. If you .pst does corrupt then do a scan on your computer for "scanpst". It will show a yellow envelope with a red cross through it. This might uncorrupt it. Best of luck.

DestinysDream is partially correct. First and foremost, delete as many obsolete emails from the pst file.

When that is complete, create a new pst file, as described by Smah, and determine which emails will reside in it. You can decide by date, sender… anything that will differentiate the 2 pst files.

After this is completed, right click on the pst file that you removed emails from and choose "properties". Click on the advanced button at the lower right of the "General" tab. There should be a "COMPACT NOW" button which will reduce the overall size of the pst.

Smah is correct in regards to the closeness of your size limitation. Check this out:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 288283

I have seen pst files start to corrupt at the 1.7 to 1.8 Gb size and have been very successful with the instructions above.

Hope this helps.

A PST file of this size is hard to manage. Based on the information in the email they can hurt you in a legal dispute. If it's just information that a person wants to keep but does not need access to everyday. I would create a PST move non critical email to this PST and then burn that PST to a CD. And if they person needs the email copy that PST from the CD to a harddrive and then add the PST to their mailbox. You cant read the PST from the CD because when attaching or opening the PST outlook wants to create a temp file and the CD is read only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back