Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to back up all the system

Status
Not open for further replies.

yordangs

ISP
Sep 7, 2001
MX
i have a big question maybe its very easy to solve but anyone knows how to back up all the system files like in other unix flavors, in aix i can do with smit but in linux mmmm i dont know how to do it. Someone can help me ???? any help will be apreciated thanks to everyone

Well, if your tape device was /dev/st0, you could:

cd /
find . -print | cpio -ocvB > /dev/st0

Go visit and download their FREE backup suite for a single system. If you are familiar with AIX then this utility will be familiar to you. It will create a complete system backup and, along with a set of bootable diskettes/cdroms, you can cold boot and reinstall a complete system.

We use it for production and it works just great!

Bob

You can use # dump command line to backup your system on linux. Man dump to get more detail information.
You should login as single user mode to do the system backup.
Good Luck....:)

why not dd....
the short and long of it is that there are many methods and tools to do backups. the important thing is to use them and verify the backups. we have had good luck with the supertar's ( lonetar, backupedge..etc)

You can use tar. if you do the backup for few directories not backup all the system.
Good Luck....:)

What are you trying to backup your entire system to ? A tape, another disk, a remote UNIX machine ???

Mark

i want to backup my entire system to another disk but maybe i need to back up into a remote machine this server you could tell me where to find info about this??

I did the following:

-dd for initial image to a 2nd drive... there was a FAQ for this, but it's gone... basically boot to a Linux boot disk then type 'dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hda2' or whatever the drives are!!!
-now I user rsync to copy changed files from /home etc.

I've tested, and I'm able to swap drives and boot from my 'backup' drive.

Since I'm on the subject, does anybody see a problem with doing it this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back