Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to avoid login again when opening files? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacca

Technical User
Dec 25, 2003
HK
Hi there,

Got system of SPS2003+SQL2000, both running on w2k3 server.
When using wxp to acess sps website, it prompt for login once. When clicking the document to open for viewing, it prompt for login again so that the file is downloaded to local harddisk & opened via office2003. When file closed & open another file, prompt login again.

Just wondering how to avoid thereafter login prompt? As users complain this is very annoying.

Many thanks!

Zacca,

What kind of user authentication are you using? Have you enabled anonymous access on any parts of the site?

I have had some problems like the ones you describe and that was due to what type of user authentication and access I was using on the sites.
I also needed to change the user authentication Logon settings in my web browser Security settings under Trusted and Intranet Sites to automatic logon with current username and password.

Regards,
Thomas

I have this same issue. I've found that performing the following steps:

Perform the changes discussed in Microsoft Knowledgebase Article: 823553

Install Office 2003 Service Pack 1

Disable the Shared Workspace in Office 2003 by opening any Office program, click on the Tools menu, select Shared Workspace. In the Shared Workspace, click Options at the bottom. In the Service Options window, select Shared Workspace, uncheck "This document is part of a shared workspace or SharePoint site." and "There is important status information regarding the document."

I have found this greatly reduces the authentication prompting when opening a document, although the referenced knowledgebase article will disable documents opening into the native Office application, which shouldn't be an issue for read-only documents. Hope this helps.

-Eric

Hi Thomas,

On my 2 wxp+office2k3 machines, I couldn't find the file htmltransinfo.xml as stated in KB823553. Wondering if you found that file?

Also after you change all those settings, what if user really need to write to the file? If the file is opened in IE, then all those menu bar of word would be gone, which will be very inconveninece to users, right?

Many thanks!

If the document opens into an IE window, the main Office program toolsbars do appear. If a user really needs to edit a file in it's native application, the can simply select "Edit" from the drop-down list for the file when they are in the document library.

Hi there,

Thanks for all the feedback.

I found that on other machines (winxp+office2000), they don't have similar problem. When they click drop down box "edit in msword" it went through smoothly, didn't prompt to login again.

So if xp+office2000 can works, wondering why xp+office2003 can't work? OK, in some sense xp+office2003 is more "secured" coz it keep on prompting you for login, however this is very annoying as well !!

Wondering if this also related to IE's setting? FYI I already add the SPS ip addr to trusted site, didn't help.

Many thanks!

Hi there,

For my case, it's also a little bit complicated because all my users are in site1, & all servers (sps, sql, w2k3) are located in site2, in which site1 & site2 connected by vpn over broadband. All uses in site1 did not join/logon to domain, because I don't want every workstation to keep a session to eat up the bandwidth, I only want to have http traffics between users & servers.

Therefore, even I put those servers in my trusted zones, & set "automatic logon with current username and password" in IE, it still didn't help.

So any luck for me? Or I must set all workstations in site1 to join the domain?

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi there,

Just tried to upgrade 1 machine to xpsp2+office2003sp1, still the same result.

Many thanks!

Zacca,
Your situation is beyond my experience with SharePoint. We have no problems with Office 2000 and IE 5.5 users receiving multiple authentication prompts, and with Office 2003 and IE 6/Win XP users, we were able to cut back on the amount of authentication by disabling the Shared Workspace in Office 2003. (Tools - Shared Workspace, Options). Please see my previous post for more detailed instructions. Again, also look into the KB article I referenced in my previous post.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric,

I did follow your instruction for office2003 shared workspace settings, unfortunately didn't help.

However I couldn't find the KB said htmltransinfo.xml file on my machine.

Hi Eric,

I found that html file on the sps frontend server & change the progid parameter & seems it works now. However I still didn't enable the anonymous access coz I think it's not right to do so.

Thanks so much for your help! A star for you!

Add your site to the Trusted Sites zone in Internet Explorer. This will eliminate multiple logon prompts and you don't have to disable other features like the solutions offered above.

hi dkernen,

we already tried put sharepoint into IE's trusted sites zone, unfortunately it didn't help that much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back