Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to automate installation of odbc dns 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaisalHenry

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
i have an application written in delphi that is accessing ms access database.
as far as i know, to access the database we need to do 2 thing:
1. create an odbc dsn that point to the database.
2. an alias in bde that is a msaccess type (*.mdb) that uses the dsn to access the database

i use installshield express that came with the delphi. and i think (i haven't tried) that process no.2 can be created automatically by installshield, but how about no 1 ?

Well to access "MSACCESS" file. you needn't to have dsn. all you've to do is just go to BDE Adminstrator from control panel. Select the Databases tab from the right panel
and select the Databases and right click on it and select new and from "Database driver name" selects "MSACCESS". Rename the alias and from Definition panel "right side" selects the database name.
using this approach you needn't to create DSN and installshield can help you create alias during setup of your application.

Hope it will help u.

Hi,

I am using ms access 2000 and tried to follow the steps recommended. However, I have not been able to successfully implement my program across other computers.

The &quot;MSACCESS&quot; driver (< Access 97 version) is a native driver and thus, could not recognise my database. It gave me an unrecognise database error.

When I install the program with install shield, and run it, it gave me a EDBEengine error.

I found out that entering the ODBC dsn manually and using access driver 5.0 for the ODBC seems to work. The problem now is, how do I automate the installation of the dsn and bde db?

In the test bed system, I make sure that there is nothing in the ODBC and no delphi 5 installed. After install the program and encountered the problem, i found out that the installshield did not register the ODBC alias DB, thus in BDE, the ODBC dsn was not specified as well.

Could anyone help me with this problem? Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Anyone who has experience in using Installshield, please advice dumb me on how to use it properly.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back