Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to automate cube backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunthart

MIS
Jun 12, 2002
US
Hello gurus,
Please let me know how to automate the cube backup.

Thanks a lot..........

One method for backing up your OLAP cube is to use the Microsoft MetaData Scripter. (It's part of the SQL2K resource Kit.) This produces a vb script backup of the OLAP db. As for automation..... I haven't got to that yet. Maybe someone else has taken this further?

use DTS
there's a cube icon in the toolbar
select the icon and then configure the settings

Sam

It really is possible to backup a cube using DTS on SQl 2000. However i was also told it can be done on SQL 7, although I'm not sure how.

Sam

Create a Sql Job and use xp_cmdshell to issue the commandline call to archive the cube. if your AS is running on a diffrent machine than your SQL server you could use an AT job. Or write a dso app that runs as a service to do it as scheduled.

-Paul

If you have the OLAP repository stored in SQL Server. Isn't it enough to backup the SQL Server database? This is how I do it.
This can of course be done using the SQL server agent.

/Fredrik

Disregard my last post. Backing up the repository doesn't back up the cube data if you use MOLAP cubes.
Use archive instead.

/Fredrik

If you back up the Repository and Data files, you can restore your databases completely. I don't know a way to backup a single cube but I have used the following to backup databases and I was able to recover them completely.
The Repository backup is easy if you have it migrated to SQL server, if not just backup the access file in BIN directory under Analysis Services. Also backup the Data directory.
Whenever you copy these files back to their right places and restart the Analysis Services, you'll have restored the status to the time you took the backup.

Shab

You are right, by using the execute process in DTS you can use "msmdarch" to archive a OLAP database from the command line to a .cab file.

This program is in the Bin directory of the instalation of OLAP Services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back