Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to AUTOBOOT a server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellsing

MIS
Sep 3, 2001
GB
I need my SCO server to automatically reboot.

i have setup a cron job to run a /etc/init 6 command. The server shuts down OK but then doesn't automatically boot up. It sits and waits for user intervention.

I have checked /etc/default/boot and AUTOBOOT is set to Y and SLEEPTIME is set to 0

Has anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

OpenServer or UnixWare?

On OpenServer try adding "TIMEOUT=5" to the /etc/default/boot.

As far as I know it should boot automatically eventually, but the default timeout is 60 seconds.

Annihilannic.

Any message displayed on the console when the system waits for user intervention ?
What happens when you do the init 6 manually ?

Hope This Help
PH.

Thanks for the replies.

Its on Openserver. If I run init 6 manually it basically brings the server down and leaves the message "Safe to Power Off or press any key to reboot".

I haven't got a TIMEOUT entry in boot. Is this something I can just add.

And have you tried the /etc/reboot command ?

Hope This Help
PH.

Yep, /etc/reboot works fine. Only thing is I'm worried about using that as it doesn't "nicely" terminte user process'.

That's very strange as the "safe to power off" message should only come up when you init 0. Also try shutdown -g0 -y -i6 perhaps, although I suspect it just calls init anyway and you will have the same result.

Adding the TIMEOUT entry to /etc/default/boot won't fix your problem because the server isn't getting as far as starting to boot the OS. It may be an idea to add it anyway to speed up the boot process.

Annihilannic.

Another thing to check is whether your /etc/inittab has been changed intentionally or inadvertently.

Of particular interest are the following lines:

[tt]sd:0:wait:/etc/uadmin 2 0 >/dev/console 2>&1 </dev/console
fw:5:wait:/etc/uadmin 2 2 >/dev/console 2>&1 </dev/console
rb:6:wait:/etc/uadmin 2 1 >/dev/console 2>&1 </dev/console[/tt]

Annihilannic.

I will try this again. I used the email and that was probably not correct.
/etc/default/boot should contain:
DEFAULT_LEVEL=2
AUTOBOOT=YEA
MULTIUSER=YES

inittab line changed to
is:2:initdefault:

cron command
/etc/shutdown -g0 -y -i6

let me know if this is correct so I can document it. My server has been rebooting every morning for about a year. It keeps the internet connection problem free.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Annihilannic and Slumpy I treid out the /etc/shutdown -g0 -y -i6 command and it worked fine so I'm going to use that in my cron to do an autoreboot.

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back