Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to auto resize pictures I upload for my website? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

newcow

Technical User
Feb 24, 2004
CA
Hi, I am wanting to add to my upload.cfm file the ability to resize the uploaded file. In the case where the camera is taking pictures at 640x480 I would just want to trim it down to 280x210. In the case where the camera would be giving me 1024x768 or what ever I would want to trim that down to 640x480 for my main picture and also 280x210 for the thumbnail picture.
I have dl'ed <cf_AutoResize> and will be looking at it, but I am really wanting to stay away from a custom tag.
I am new to programing and to cf and don't know to much. Could all you fine people give me some feedback on this.
thanks.
newcow

Here is a link to my upload page I have done.

Why would you want to stay away from this custom tag? Someone else has already done the planning, coding, and debugging for you, they already have the .dll's written for you, and the tag does exactly what you want plus more. You can save yourself untold hours worth of work (not to mention the headache) just by spending a few minutes in the CF Admin. setting up the tag. I use <cf_AutoResize> and I think it's great, I've never had any problems with it.

This isn't something that CF is going to be able to do on it's own. If you want to write this yourself, you'll need to learn to write .dll's, or create your own C++ or Java program to handle it. My advice is to stick with the custom tag that's already been programmed to do what you want. There's no sense in reinventing the wheel.

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb

&quot;My work is a game, a very serious game.&quot; - M.C. Escher

Ecobb: Ok great that is what I wanted to hear. I will take a peek at it over the weekend and see how it goes. Thanks.
newcow

autoresize is cool. the only part you really need is the image.dll and the rest is cake.

imstillatwork: Yes autoresize was very simple to setup and works just fine.
newcow

Know if ISP's mind putting .dll's on thier servers?

Do you know if the dll can be site specific?

I have been looking for a similar solution for an upcoming project.

thanks.

scott

xtendscott:
Well is $4.95/mon with 1GB 10email and 250MB and one DSN. They have the dll installed on there server already. The dll needs to be installed by your hosting company but that shouldn't be a problem.
newcow

well, I can't recommend cfm-resources.com for their great service or reliability....but they do offer a control panel to upload and use your very own cfx and custom tags. I also think that crystal-tech does too.
anyways its available, just don't go to cfm-resources for hosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back