Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to auto fill in form Field? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekjock

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
US
I'm trying to auto fill out 2 fields after filling out 1. For example. I have 3 sections of a page. On all 3 I have the users name. I have 3 fields UserName, UserName1, & UserName2. I want to have it when I fill in UserName and I leave that field I want it to auto-fill in UserName1, & UserName2.

I'm not a programmer so I'm not good with scripting. I sure this is simple but any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Tekjock

Hi,

"...I have 3 sections of a page..."

Is this MS Word?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] To be safe on the [red]FOURTH[/red],
Don't take a [red]FIFTH[/red] on the [red]THIRD[/red]
Or you might not come [red]FORTH[/red] on the [red]FIFTH[/red]
[red][highlight blue]FORTH[/highlight][/red][white][highlight red]WITH[/highlight][/white] [tongue][/sub]

Yes ... Sorry. its all on one page, I have a table with 4 cells, and in each cell are some form fields. I want to be able to fill in one filed and have the others where the same info is to auto fill in.

"Is this MS Word?"

Skip,
[sub]
[red][highlight blue]FORTH[/highlight][/red][white][highlight red]WITH[/highlight][/white] [tongue][/sub]

You do not need other formfields. I am assuming the first one is a formfields.

If it is, and it is named UserName, then you can:

1. Make sure the formfield (UserName) is set as Calculate on exit. Right click, select Properties, check Calculate on exit.

2. Go to where ever you want that value repeated.

3. press Ctrl-F9

4. type "UserName" - without the quotes.

5. Move the cursor somewhere else.

You are done. This can be repeated as many times as you like, anywhere you like. When a value is entered into UserName (the first "real" one), all other fields that point to it by name, will update to that value.

NOTE: you MUST use Ctrl-F9. This puts curly brackets, but typing curly brackets does not work. You MUST press Ctrl-F9, then type the field you are referencing. You can do this for any of your fields.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

That worked GREAT ... after you protect teh doc and then un-protect the doc the {LINK} does not appear but is still there. Is there a way to reveal all the {LINK} that are there

Only problem is Im the part that us being updated is loosing its formating

ALSO, Figured out the Toggle Field Codes

tekjock,

I notice that over the past 4 years, you have posted several threads and have received many good tips related to your stated needs. Yet, you have responded NOT ONCE.

fumei has given you a very valuable tip. I'd suggest that you...
[blue]
Thank fumei
for this valuable post!
[/blue].

The Stars accomplish several important things.

First, it gives positive feedback to contributors, that their posts have been helpful.

Second, it identifies threads as containing helpful posts, so that other members can benefit.

And third, it identifies the original poster (that's YOU, BTW), as a grateful member, that not only receives, but is willing to give tokens of thanks.

Skip,
[sub]

SKIP

Ok ... did not kow it was a requirement. I had left work and my apologizes. just got back online and had not had a chance to respond and to reply to "Several Threads" I have done 7 in 4 years and my previous job I did not always have a chance to respond to people.

FUMEI

thank you much

"FUMEI

thank you much"

was not what I was referring to. Please reread my post and look carefully at the post block that each contributor makes. In the BOTTOM LEFT HAND CORNER of the posting block is a LINK. Please use this link to ...

[blue]
Thank Tek-Tip Contributor
for this valuable post!
[/blue].

whenever you feel that you got a helpful nugget from someone's post.

In this particular case, check out the link for...

[blue]
Thank fumei
for this valuable post!
[/blue].

Skip,
[sub]

I did click that link after your post

Ok ... I had clicked that link, I had juts forgot to click the link in the window

Ok ... I had clicked that link, I had Just forgot to click the link in the window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back