Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to assign user rights only to start/stop Windows service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grofaty

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
SI
Hi,
I have Windows 2003 Server. I would like to assign to user only the rights to start/stop Windows service.

Is there any way to set user only start/stop service rights?

Thanks,
Grofaty

Hi,
thanks for help. By the way. Is there any command privilege to assign to user to only stop/start service without loggin in - just to execute remote command like "net start/stop" from local computer.

I don't even want that user logins into Windows server. Only start/stop service.
Thanks,
Grofaty

I accomplish both goals with the use of ASP pages and WMI. I assign the rights to that page to use an elevated account, so the WMI code behind the web page access the server with admin credentials while the user themselves has no extra permissions. I then restrict access to the web page to the specific individual(s) that need to perform the action. Works like a charm and is remote.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back