Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to arise up process load, for test only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

imix

Programmer
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hello all,

I've a problem with a process that is taking a lot of cpu load, i want to test it wath could be happend if a leave this process with high load, I've other equipment where I can do many test, because always that I have been this kind of problem (only twice) I've restarted the process.

How can do that a cpu load arise up in a specific unix process?

Regards,

imix .

You should identify what it is, not ignore it.

Code:
ps -uaxww | grep
Code:
processname

If I understand you correctly you want to simulate a busy process on another system? You could use something like gzip or compress perhaps:

[tt]( while true ; do cat /usr/bin/* ; done ) | gzip -c > /dev/null &[/tt]

Or write a C programme such as:

[tt]int main(void) {
for (;;) {}
}[/tt]

Annihilannic.

Hi Annihilannic/naChoZ,

Sorry I've invetigated and is a deamon, the deamons is "/usr/lib/dmi/dmispd", some times I don't know why this deamos is taking a lot of cpu load (as close as 50 %), I want simulate in other equipment (test plant) this situation or waht can i do for increase the cpu load with this deamon and take alook arround the system behavior...

I've though about a program but I dont know how can test whit that deamon ??

any suggestion??

Regards,

imix

on solaris:
to see what it is doing use
get the pid using ps
/bin/truss -p pid
/usr/proc/bin/pstack pid
check the syntax (not on a unixbox at the moment) -----------
when they don't ask you anymore, where they are come from, and they don't tell you anymore, where they go ... you'r getting older !

dmispd is an oft exploited service. If you don't need it, shut it off. I'm not real familiar with it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the occasional high cpu consumption was someone trying to exploit it.

Code:
/etc/init.d/init.dmi stop
mv /etc/rc3.d/S77dmi /etc/rc3.d/norun.S77dmi

While you're at it, I'd get the snmpdx if you don't need it, as well.

Code:
/etc/init.d/init.snmpdx stop
mv /etc/rc3.d/S76snmpdx /etc/rc3.d/norun.S76snmpdx
--
Andy

naChoz,

I had been reading that information about it (you know exploited service), but thats why i need to do some test to be able to know which is the system behaivor when I keep with high load of cpu. really don't know if the system is using this deamon. I want to do many test before scalete this situation with my secon line support...well I'm keep investigating.

regards,

imix

Guess I'm not sure what you need. It's almost seeming as if you want to this process to consume a lot of cpu so that you can determine if the system will perform well under those circumstances. Very bad idea akin to testing if a bulletproof vest is actually bulletproof by shooting yourself...

If misinterpreting and you simply want to know a little bit more detail about how the cpu is being consumed, you can probably get a little insight with sar.
Code:
sar -u 1 10
will poll the cpu once every second for 10 seconds and give you a breakdown of usr%, sys%, and io%. That's also helpful determining if your system is getting i/o bound. --
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back