Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Apply A PRF File

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie99

Programmer
Apr 24, 2003
US
We are on the verge of installing Microsoft Office 2003 on all the computers in our organization. Currently we have Outlook 2000 and automatically generate outlook profiles in our log-in script (kixtart), code snippet follow:

system1.kix code:
shell ol-prof.bat @userid

ol-prof.bat code:
newprof.exe -p outlook-profile-pf.prf

After installing Microsoft Office 2003 I receive the following error upon logging onto the network: "MS Outlook Profile Generation Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Through research I discovered that newprof.exe is no longer supported in newer versions of Microsoft Office. That I must use PRF files. In ol-prof.bat code (above) we already reference an outlook-profile-pf.prf. What should my code read in my batch file to make the prf run now? And to make it run behind the scenes, so it doesn't try to launch Outlook when users log-on the network? And, a solution that doesn't require me to manually fenangle with the registry on every user's machine.

Thanks, I'm really confused on this issue and look forward to some responses. Thanks again.

I have my .prf file installed via vbs login script using a GPO.

I have the .prf in a shared directory.

The login script creates a reg key. If the user does not have the key, it will run the .prf and modify/create the current profile.

Here's what the code is

Code:
DIM olkpath

Set WshShell=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

olkpath = "HKCU\Software\CustomOutlookSettings\OutlookNoPro"
On Error Resume Next
Err.Clear
WSHShell.RegRead(olkpath)

If Err Then
    'Code to modify Outlook goes here
    On Error Goto 0
exeString = "\\server\userapps\Office_2003SP2\outlook.exe /importprf \\server\userapps\Office_2003SP2\outlookprofile.prf"

WSHShell.Run(exeString)
    WSHShell.RegWrite olkpath,"1","REG_DWORD"
Else
    'Already been run, exit script
    WScript.Quit

End If

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back