Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Append Records from One Access Table to Another Access Table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiccup

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
My setup is VB6/Access2K. I need a click event on my VB Form that will append all of the Records from one Access Table (tblTEMP) to another Access Table (tblPERM)in the same Access mdb.

Can someone help me with this one?

Thanks in advance!

Insert into tblPERM ( field1, field2, field3, etc. )
Select field1, field2, field3, etc.
From tblTemp

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Once again DrJavaJoe, Thanks! And another star!

DrJavaJoe....it didn't like a couple of things. I got this Compile error on the tblPERM:

Expected: end of statement

And this Compile error on the first field:

Expected: Case

Here's the code I entered:

Private Sub Command1_Click()
Insert into tblPERM (DepDate, DepNo, Tenant, etc.)
Select DepDate, DepNo, Tenant, etc.
From tblTEMP
End Sub

Any ideas?

That was just an example of the SLQ statement you'll need to make a reference to Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects and do something like the following. Also unless you have a field called etc you'll have to drop that and list all the fields. Now this is not going to drop any records from the temp table so everytime you click command1 it is going to insert these records again into tblPerm, so you might want to run a delete query after the insert.

Dim adoCmd As new ADODB.command
adoCmd.ActiveConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=YourPathToTheAccessFile;User Id=YourUserName;Password=YourPassword;"
adoCmd.Commandtext = "Insert into tblPERM (DepDate, DepNo, Tenant, etc.) " & _
"Select DepDate, DepNo, Tenant, etc. " & _
"From tblTEMP "
adoCmd.execute
End Sub

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Thanks DrJavaJoe, I'll give it a try!

DrJavaJoe, I'm having trouble with the delete records.

I tried this (with no luck) to delete the records from the tblTEMP:

Dim adoCmd As New ADODB.Command
adoCmd.ActiveConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\EHicks\RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY MANAGER\RPM.mdb;Persist Security Info=False"
adoCmd.CommandText = "Insert into tblPERM (DepDate, DepNo, Tenant, TenantID, UnitNo, RentRate, SecDep, PetDep, PrevBalDue, VacantAmnt, LateChrg, PymtRcvd, NewBalDue, CkAmnt, TotalPayments, TotalPymtsMinusNSFCks) " & _
"Select DepDate, DepNo, Tenant, TenantID, UnitNo, RentRate, SecDep, PetDep, PrevBalDue, VacantAmnt, LateChrg, PymtRcvd, NewBalDue, CkAmnt, TotalPayments, TotalPymtsMinusNSFCks " & _
"From tblTEMP"
Delete "Select DepDate, DepNo, Tenant, TenantID, UnitNo, RentRate, SecDep, PetDep, PrevBalDue, VacantAmnt, LateChrg, PymtRcvd, NewBalDue, CkAmnt, TotalPayments, TotalPymtsMinusNSFCks " & _
"From tblTEMP"
adoCmd.Execute
End Sub

I got this compile error "Sub or function not defined" and the "Delete" was highlighted.

Could you help me with the DELETE query part of the code; guess I'm not sure exactly how to set it up?

Thanks!

I hope this is a test DB.

adoCmd.CommandText = "Delete From tblTEMP"
adoCmd.Execute

Thanks DrJavaJoe, that worked. That completes my app and everything is working fine thanks to you. And another star for that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back