Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to answer calls if phoen system/power goes down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trudawg

Technical User
Feb 22, 2007
US
I'm usually on the Nortel forums, but at my second job we have a partner system and the other day while power was out the phone system was out too. (I know a UPS would come in handy here, and that has been suggested) My boss wants to come up with a plan to make/recieve calls if the phone system goes out. There is an analog set on the wall in the phone closet that we thought was back-up if it goes down, but when it rang and was picked we couldn't answer it.

Any suggestions on a back-up plan? Should I just tap into the main line and install analog phone on it before it goes into the phone system? (would it constantly ring? Which would be a little annoying)

Check that phone - if it rang, it is connected to dial tone or a power failure transfer station's voice pair. Could be the receiver in the handset is bad, unless it continued to ring when you picked up the handset, could be a bad hookswitch.

Be that as it may, when there is no power applied to the system, the 1st line is connected to the 1st station port, and if it is an ACS or a 308 module, the 2nd line port is connected to the 2nd station port. (On 206 modules, only the 1st line has PFT)

The multiline Partner phone won't work without the power, so you unplug the partner phone and plug in a 2500 set.

Thanks for the Prompt reply!

I'm not quite sure I follow, but if I'm understanding correctly your saying that even without the power, what ever extension is connected to port 1 would have D/T?

I don't know the exact model but it says:
Lucent Partner
Advanced/Endeavor
all the modules in the shelf say Lucent or Avaya ACS

As for the analog phone on the wall, there is currently NO d/t on it, and I wasn't here when the power failure happened so I don't know what exactly happened, all I know is that they weren't able to use that wall phone. Unfortunately I don'thave a but set on hand to check d/t going to that phone but will bring my tools asap

Well, since you added that it is an Endeavor, only Line 1 is connected to the jack for Ext. 10 during a power failure. The Partner multiline phone doesn't work without power, but dial tone is at the jack. Unplug the Partner phone, and plug in a single line phone instead.

Here's what it says in the manual: (available from support.avaya.com)

When power to the system is cut off, the first line on the PARTNER Endeavor
processing module automatically connects to the first extension on the module,
extension 10.
This enables you to receive calls during a power failure on a standard phone that
is connected to extension 10. You can also make calls on that phone during a
power outage.
The system can stay programmed for a minimum of 45 days and a maximum of
six months after it stops receiving power, depending on the freshness of the
batteries. When the batteries are drained, all of the system’s programmed settings
return to the factory settings. It is recommended that you install fresh batteries
every year. See ‘‘Battery Replacement’’ on page 6-5 for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back