Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to allow users to use mouse wheel to scroll down long forms???

Status
Not open for further replies.

notageek7

Technical User
Jan 23, 2004
US
I've got a form that has vertical scroll bars because it is quite long. Is there a way to allow my users to use their mouse wheel to scroll down my form?

I downloaded IntelliPoint so I could use the mousewheel in the VB IDE and I tried to scroll a form in Access (in the same way you want to) and I am able to. The software is available from:

Hope this helps

Harleyquinn

---------------------------------
For tsunami relief donations

but presumably you'd hve to install that on your users machines for them to be able to do the same...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

is there not a native mouse behaviour control somewhere in the .NET framework? I'd have thought there was, and you can just call that, with the correct references, to control your mouse behaviour...

I've not used .net so am just guessing, but would like to know...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

the framework comes as standard, at least in all newer systems...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Crowley16 said:
the framework comes as standard, at least in all newer systems...
However, if they have the older systems (and they won't be using the .NET framework for anything else) the IntelliPoint is alot quicker and easier to install and requires no programatical changes.

Harleyquinn

ZmrAbdulla

so you'd have to install that ActiveX control on every machine then...?

Can you integrate it into a frontEnd db?

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Crowley16, You have to install it in all the PCs. FrontEnd means all machines.
BTW, .NET framwork is 20 mb!!
Intellipoint is 6.8 mb!
what I suggested is 146 kb! (yes kb!!)
and keeping all these away I can scroll a long form to down using the mouse scroll. i don't know if any other program installed any dll to my machine! Or it is in Access2002. I have to check in A2K later.
I am using Access2002/Win2000Pro

A time will come when he or she won't let you.

Zameer - I must admit I'm using Access 2003 and XP and I just assumed that I could scroll because I had IntelliPoint installed. You make a good point, maybe the functionality is actually in the newer versions of Access to allow us to do this?

Harleyquinn

I was hopeing there was some way of compiling it, maybe as part of the mde, so you wouldn't have to install anything extra on the users machines...

it's a moot point though, cos I can't actually use mde's at the moment, but it'd be useful to know for the future...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

I have checked Acc2003 in a PC that has no other "junk" installed. It is disappointing that it doesn't support mouse scroll. I have many "junk" and Addins installed in my PC. So might be scroll is available through any of that.

A time will come when he or she won't let you.

looks like there has been a lot of dialogue about this question since I've been gone. Not sure I've got a clear answer though. Thank you for contributing to this thread.

I believe I have a very simple solution to your problem. In the form in question place the following code.
*NOTE* you must set the "Allow Additions" property of the form to no for this code to work.

'Private form declarations. Can also make this public in a module
Private Const WM_VSCROLL = &H115
Private Const SB_PAGEUP = 2
Private Const SB_PAGEDOWN = 3

Private Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias "SendMessageA" _
(ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal wMsg As Long, _
ByVal wParam As Long, lParam As Any) As Long

'Now just place the following code in the Form_MouseWheel Event of your form.

Private Sub Form_MouseWheel(ByVal Page As Boolean, ByVal Count As Long)

If (Count = 3) Then
Call SendMessage(Me.hWnd, WM_VSCROLL, SB_PAGEDOWN, 0&)
Else
Call SendMessage(Me.hWnd, WM_VSCROLL, SB_PAGEUP, 0&)
End If

End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back