Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to allocate more memory for a program? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

srikanthdhondi

Technical User
Jun 24, 2007
NZ
One of my fortran program requires 25GB of memory allocation for its variables, which I cann't allocate since it exceeds the dynamic memory limit(2GB). I reckon there must b a way to come around this problem.

Do you really need to keep everything in memory? Why not dump some of it to disk and retrieve it as required?

As usually, if you have available computer with more than 25Gb core, your compiler is able to utilize this huge memory (not 2Gb only); othewise come back to computational method(s) choice(s) and algorithm design stage (split data, invent reasonable processing flow with secondary storage download/upload etc).

Jee! What kind of program is that? I'm curious!

There must be something wrong in the set up of the code if you need such huge amounts of memory.

Anyway, I agree with the others that you could store it to disk. If that's too slow you could make a virtual disk.

As far as I've been told, the 2Gb limit is only valid for windows and not for linux, but I'm unable to work with linux even after many tries, so maybe someone here can confirm that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back