Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to align text in various columns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juice216

Technical User
Jun 5, 2009
US
Hi there, I am making a very basic illustration that has nine columns and in each column I have text. How do I center that text without just nudging it until it "looks" centered? I know this is a very basic question, but I just received illustrator and have always worked in photoshop which had the marquee tool for me to define an area for an object to be centered in. I have tried making paths with the rectangle tool but when I select the text to center it using the "Align" link, it deselects the rectangle path. There has got to be a way. Any help would be great!

Quite easy. I've been dealing with this problem too until today. While you are in your text box, click the "align center" button at the top and your text will center in the text box. Then (using your selection tool) click and drag the sides of the box to the edges of your column.

If you only need certain text centered and not others, highlight the text and then click "align center".

...one thing worth noting about centering or aligning items is the possibility to target lock the object you need to center or align to...

...essentially you "shift" select, or drag over both items with the black arrow tool, then target the object you want to align to by simply clicking 'once" on that object, then choose your alignment function...

...the target object is essentially locked in position when you click it "once" during the selection...

...this can save you the hassle of dragging text frame edges around...

...the quicker way for that is to press "alt/option" key, and drag the handles, the opposing side also then moves...

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back