Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to adjust the speed of modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

longmatch

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
Dear Sir:
My IBM AMD-450 MHZ computer has a builtin modem with capacity of 56k. But when I used my dialup connection to my university, the speed can only reach 28.8k. How can I configure my modem to increase the speed?

Haijun

Haijun...

One questions, what is the speed of the modems at your university? If their speed is only 28.8k, it won't matter if yours is 56k, yours will only go as fast as the modem on the other end. Have you tried connecting to the Internet, what speed do you connect at there?

I am sure the modem speed in my unversity side is 56MB or more. When I was using Windows ME OS, the speed is much faster that the new OS- Windows 2000. When I connect to the Internet, currently speed is only 26.4MB. How can I do right now.

Thank you.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and everyone in this forum.

Haijun

On your desktop, go to MY COMPUTER, CONTROL PANEL, MODEMS & PHONE OPTIONS. Go to the MODEMS tab and highlight your modem. Click PROPERTIES. What is the maximum port speed set to?

Also, there have been three 56K modem technologies over the years.

V.90 is the only one that isn't considered "obsolete" now. Your modem (and the one at the other end) must support at least ONE of the three in common or else you'll get slow connections.

Lessee... one was called something like K56Flex, I forget the other. Something else to check on though.

A lot of modems do V.90 and ONE of the other two. I seem to recall that one of these wasn't very common in the US, but sometimes universities put them in because they got them cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back