Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add two time values...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicendice

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
GB
Hi
I have two variables that are involved in processing some appointment data - one is the start time of the appointment and the other is the duration (in minutes). I need to calculate the end time of the appointment using those two items - which in itself is not a complex concept! I know I can add a number of minutes to a time in SQL using something like:

Code:
    SELECT to_char(to_date(10.40, 'HH24.MI') + INTERVAL '30' MINUTE, 'HH24:MI')
    FROM dual;

This works OK in that it gives me 11.10 as the result. However, if I try and build this in PL/SQL I get problems. If I try something like this:

Code:
DECLARE
    start_time  VARCHAR2(5) := '10.40';
    end_time    VARCHAR2(5);
    duration    VARCHAR2(2) := '30';

BEGIN
    SELECT to_char(to_date(start_time, 'HH24.MI') + INTERVAL duration MINUTE, 'HH24:MI')
    INTO end_time
    FROM dual;
END;

...I just get an ORA-00907 (missing right parenthesis). Playing around with it seems to imply that it doesn't like the use of the variable "duration" and only works if I hard code a value.

Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do and have a variable as the duration field?

Thanks very much

I'm not sure you can use variables in the INTERVAL stuff. The simple workaround is to change your number of minutes into a fraction of a day and add that e.g.

Code:
select sysdate + 30/(24*60) from dual

Yep, I think that's the best/easiest way to do it.

Thanks Dagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back