Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add route to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

wombat123

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2000
HK
Dear all, <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As i have a server which is configured a IP address, it is providing the service<br>&nbsp;within a LAN. Now, uers on another network want to telnet it through the router. <br>This router is on our site. How can i configure this server? It can provide services to <br>existing users and can be connected to users on remote site. Can &quot;route add&quot; be solved this <br>question? How to implement it? Please give a hand. Thanks in advance.<br><br>newbie

Wombat,<br><br>You might need to be a bit more specific to get a definitive answer, but you could try adding the router as your default gateway, like so<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;route add default 1.2.3.4<br><br>where 1.2.3.4 is the address of your router.&nbsp;&nbsp;That way any traffic that is not for the local network would be routed through it.<br><br>Annihilannic.

What about the router? Does it support Network address translation and does the interface have a public IP address that everyone on the internet can hit? Or better yet, does the server have a public IP assigned to it? I know that's not secure but people do it. If not, once you have your route table updated. You will have to create a pass through or special port on your router to route the telnet port to the private IP on your server. It should do the job after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back