Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add notepad to pop up menu 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmeshal

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2002
US
I am trying to add Notepad (or any text edit for that matter) to the pop up menu that you get when you right-click onto a file. I know there a way for doing that, just can't remember it. Appreciate any help on that.

You click on the Start Menu, go to Settings, then to Files/Folders (something simular). Now you click on the far left tab, if I recollect correctly, to view file associations. Now you click on the files you want to be associated with Notepad.exe and click edit. Good luck. --Sapient2003 - sapient@sapient2003.com
"The worst insecurity is beleiving you are too secure."

In C:\Windows\SendTo folder create a shortcut to Notepad.exe. Then when you right-click on a file you can send to Notepad.

You can also add a registry key so that you get an "Open with Notepad" option when you right click on any file.

Open your registry and find the key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell", if it doesn't already exist then create it.

Under shell create a new key called open, and edit the string "(Default)" to read "Open With Notepad".

Under open create a new key called command, and edit the string "(Default)" to read "notepad.exe %1".

Now when you right click on a file you should see "Open with Notepad" as one of the options.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back