Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add an SSD to a Win7 desktop - LOTS of questions !!! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpygme

Technical User
Aug 29, 2009
US
Hi all -

Not really sure what forum this ought to be in (mods, please help!), but adding an SSD seems like a fun and useful thing to try to my DIY Win 7 x64 desktop. Currently I have a primary HDD Drive C:, and another HDD I use for an Acronis back-up. Not in RAID.
BUT !!! -- i have many questions !

- What goes on the SSD besides the OS ?
I want to use the SSD speed to its best advantage. Wouldn't that mean having a few programs on the SSD in addition to the OS ?
Which app's/ programs do you folks have on your SSD's ?
And how large an SSD do I need to accommodate that ? Is a 120/128 GB SSD adequate, or is one around 250GB a better idea ?

- Adding new stuff that I DON'T want to go on the SSD ... How do I tell Windows and the 3rd party download mgr to put stuff on the HDD instead of the SSD?

-Even more important, how do I tell Windows 7 where to find programs, when the Win7OS is on the SSD but the programs are on the HDD ?

- Configuring Libraries - I know "Libraries" are not the locations of the files, just place-holders, more or less. Anyway, I'm guessing that the OS on the SSD needs to be told where the current Libraries are, on the HDD?
And it needs to be told to add now files vid's etc. to HDD locations, not SSD locations.
those are two questions I have no idea how to address.

- Do I leave the Win 7 OS on the "old" HDD, so that Libraries stay intact ? Gut says absolutely, but I thought I'd ask.

- What else am I going to run into and have to answer so the two storage drives Play Nice with each other ?

- Drive letter assignment - it might not matter a lot, but would I be well-served by assigning C to the new SSD OS (etc) drive, and calling the current HDD that I'll use for storage and for programs that don't benefit from a speed bonus to another letter ?

Gosh - lots of Q's, and a million thanks to this group !!!

Michael

Michael

"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."
--Sam Brown

Best is to go with a new install. Some people are fine with a smaller SSD, depends on the use of the computer, I have 240 or 256 GB in my main pc's. My HTPC's and my laptop have 128GB SSD as the main drive. I used this guideHere. to help set what I wanted where. Also, windows 7 registry will set locations as you install programs, that is how windows knows where everything is. I even have 2 program files and program files 64 folders, 1 on each of my drives, so when I install something, If I wanted it to go to the SSD, I let it install to drive C: , but if I wanted it to go to my mechanical drive, I just change the drive letter of the install location to D: when the program asks if it is okay to install to a location. All of my user data, and libraries are on my D: drive. As is my swap file. It is a little more involved then a typical windows 7 install, and it takes a little longer to set up, but is well worth the investment. Storage drives that don't have programs installed on them will just move over to the new install no problems.

- What goes on the SSD besides the OS ?

There's no definite answer for that. What goes on an SSD is up to you. If you use some Apps a lot, and you want to then to start faster put those on the SSD.

And how large an SSD do I need to accommodate that ? Is a 120/128 GB SSD adequate, or is one around 250GB a better idea ?

Again not something that can be answered directly. It depends on how much stuff you want to add to the SSD. And your plans for the future. Basically a 120GB should do for most unless youn plan to have a lot of programs or very large ones like Adobe Suites and the like that take up a lot of space.

- Adding new stuff that I DON'T want to go on the SSD ... How do I tell Windows and the 3rd party download mgr to put stuff on the HDD instead of the SSD?

Wehn installing Applications most if not all installers ask for a location to install things to. Just give them the drive and a folder path where you want them to install. The Installer will setup the registry so Windows knows where everything is installed.

- Configuring Libraries - I know "Libraries" are not the locations of the files, just place-holders, more or less. Anyway, I'm guessing that the OS on the SSD needs to be told where the current Libraries are, on the HDD?
And it needs to be told to add now files vid's etc. to HDD locations, not SSD locations.
those are two questions I have no idea how to address.

If you are referring to Windows Libraries, yes they are a collection of locations you define.

In Windows Explorer You can right click on any library such as Documents, or Pictures, and then on Properties to define the folders to include, and the folder to use to store things that are saved to the library.

Do I leave the Win 7 OS on the "old" HDD, so that Libraries stay intact ? Gut says absolutely, but I thought I'd ask.

- What else am I going to run into and have to answer so the two storage drives Play Nice with each other ?

Well if you leave Windows on the old HDD, then you won't get as much of a speed advantage since Windows will still boot from the old HDD, and you may only notice some improvement when running apps installed ion the SSD.

If you want the best performance, Install Widnows 7 from scratch on the SDD making sure the HDD is not connected to the computer while you do this.
You will need to re-install the Applications you want on each drive though.

Drive letter assignment should be automatic. Once Windows 7 is installed on the new SSD it will be drive C: The old drive will likely become drive D or F: depending on what letter your optical drive(s) has(have) taken.

You can change that from Drive Management at any point.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Thanks, people ! -

I was planning on a New Install of Win 7 on the SSD, of course.

I guess I have Q's about some content in your reply, Vacunita. You (or anyone else) might have wonderful answers !
- If you want the best performance, Install Widnows 7 from scratch on the SDD making sure the HDD is not connected to the computer while you do this.
I have had the OS on more than 1 drive before. Windows generates a page asking which drive to boot from when it detects more than one drive with an OS. So I don't think I MUST delete the OS from the HDD - I would just (always) have to choose the SSD as the Boot drive.
- If I did delete the OS from the current HDD where my Libraries and all that data are, won't that interfere with telling the new SDD and OS on the SSD how to find them ?
- You will need to re-install the Applications you want on each drive though.
I am a little confused. I probably just don't understand what you mean ... if you mean, I would have to install (re-install) any program I want to run from the SSD TO that SSD, I get that. Any program that I want to let run at regular HDD start-up speeds would be fine just remaining where it is .,.. right ?
... but the Start Menu will be all new on the SSD when I install a fresh Win 7 there - none of the programs on the HDD will show up (obviously).

What can I do about that Program Access problem ?

Thanks, I appreciate the time and experience you've offered !!

Michael

Michael

--Sam Brown

I have had the OS on more than 1 drive before. Windows generates a page asking which drive to boot from when it detects more than one drive with an OS. So I don't think I MUST delete the OS from the HDD - I would just (always) have to choose the SSD as the Boot drive.

If you leave the HDD connected while installing Windows on the SSD Windows will create the boot menu asking you to what Windows installation you want to boot to.

Disconnecting the HDD makes it invisible to the Windows setup so it won't create the bootloader and as such will boot to the SDD always.

If I did delete the OS from the current HDD where my Libraries and all that data are, won't that interfere with telling the new SDD and OS on the SSD how to find them ?

Whether Windows still exists on the HDD is irrelevant to the SDD. The new Windows Installation will not use the existing installation for anything.

You will have to define your libraries to the folders you want them either way. Whether the old Windows installation exists or not.

Any program that I want to let run at regular HDD start-up speeds would be fine just remaining where it is .,.. right ?

Nope. The New Windows installation has no knowledge of what is installed on the HDD, so it can't run anything from it. While some programs may run, most require specific registry keys and configurations that are performed during the application setup and that will not exist on the new SSD and will need to be re-installed to set them up even if they are going to be installed to the HDD.

but the Start Menu will be all new on the SSD when I install a fresh Win 7 there - none of the programs on the HDD will show up
Exactly, which is why you have to re-install the programs, so they can be seen in the Start Menu and be run from there even if all their files reside on the HDD.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

The only program I have seen not need a registry key and still run and update is World of Warcraft. Or at least you could just drag a backup folder onto the new drive, and create a shortcut to the exe and start it. Don't know about now, don't know anyone who still plays. If you do any gaming, put them on the SSD, and if you do online gaming, you will be amazed at your map loading and transition speed improvement.

thx, rclarke - i like the idea of creating a shortcut on the SSD with a path going to the old HDD where the programs reside. it could work. i dunno ... but i can try it !!

Michael

Michael

--Sam Brown

Sorry !!! -- This is starting to drag out - i'll try to get to installing the SSD this weekend.

i think i'll install most programs on the SSD, and leave data and Libraries (and their sources) on the current HDD. i'm not 100% clear on how to tell the new OS to look for Libraries on the HDD, but you've helped and i can figure it out.
i used RT 7 Lite to make a Win7 Install disk that includes all the MS updates up to now, and lots of program .exe's from their sources. i thought it was pretty cool ... i think i'll use that as the OS install disk for the SSD.

another point i'm still foggy about is Vacunita's suggestion: "... which is why you have to re-install the programs, so they can be seen in the [new OS] Start Menu and be run from there even if all their files reside on the HDD." ... i get re-installing the programs. what i DON'T get is the part about how to point them to their data when it is left on the old HDD.

Help ??

i know to disconnect the HHD's i have before installing the OS on the SSD. This "old" Asus MB, it's not completely clear to me how to get the AHCI drivers installed before/while the OS installs. i THINK I remember there's a point during install at which you can install new drivers. (i have the AHCI drivers on a thumb drive, and could point to them there).

thanks to you folks who have been so active with helping me ~!!! i love the way geeks come to the aid of each other when we face challenges beyond what we know - THX !!!

Michael

--Sam Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back