Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add a statement for VLAN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman11

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2005
US
This is for a guest network in our company. Was wondering on how to add a vlan 3 statement. It is not a interface for Vlan 3 it is just a statemwnt for it. Does any no of the commands to enter this into a 2960 switch?

Thank you

You will have to explain a little better what you are trying to accomplish , its unclear from your post.

You post is indeed a bit unclear.

But if you are looking to add vlan 3 in you vtp database. The command is:
vlan 3

if you want to create a routeble interface it's:

interface vlan 3

Apologizes for be vague that what happens when its 5:00 HAHA. Below is the statement added to one of are switches. I am configuring a new switch and I can’t get this statement added. I know I am going to need it in order to get the guest WAP up and running. I hope this helps. If you need something more let me know

Thank you,

vlan 3
name X_GUEST_WIFI
!
X= Name of site

Apologizes for being vague that what happens when its 5:00 HAHA. Below is the statement added to one of are switches. I am configuring a new switch and I can’t get this statement added. I know I am going to need it in order to get the guest WAP up and running. I hope this helps. If you need something more let me know

Thank you,

vlan 3
name X_GUEST_WIFI
!
X= Name of site

description might work in this case...

We must go always forward, not backward
always up, not down and always twirling twirling towards infinity.

TY for you response silverblade, I am not sure if its setup for a VTP client. I was trying to configure to see if that was it, but the switch does not like the commands I enter. Here is another part of the config that might help. The config on the ASA has a vlan 3
Thank You,

vlan 3
name X_GUEST_WIFI
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
description TO ASA DMZ e0/3
switchport access vlan 3
switchport mode access

are you in configuration mode when you are entering the vlan commands?

Here are the results of the VTP Status from the switch.

Hope this helps

Switch#sh vtp status
VTP Version : 2
Configuration Revision : 0
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 68
Number of existing VLANs : 5
VTP Operating Mode : Server
VTP Domain Name :
VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled
VTP V2 Mode : Disabled
VTP Traps Generation : Disabled
MD5 digest : 0xBF 0x86 0x94 0x45 0xFC 0xDF 0xB5 0x70
Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 0-0-00 00:00:00

Can you run a "show vlan" as well?

It looks from that like you're a VTP server so you should be able to create vlans locally, and that you have 5 vlans created already.

you should be able to go to config mode

"config t"

then enter vlan and a number

"vlan 3"

And if the vlan doesn't exist it will create it at that point, then you could name it as you wish.

Another question, you stated earlier "one of our switches", is the VTP configuration the same on all the switches?

that would be VTP domain and password.

Be careful if you're adding this as a server into an existing VTP domain, you'd be better off finding the existing server and adding the VLAN there and adding this as a client if something is already in place.

Frankly, the safest thing to do if they are letting network configuration be done by people with no expertise is to switch VTP to "transparent" on all the switches and not use it.

VTP is not working as the config revision level is 0 . Give it a vtp domain name then just conf t, then enter vlan 3 , end , write mem . Do a show vlan to verify , have to be in config mode .

anks everyone for assisting me in this matter. Will find out today or tomorrow if it going to work

What version of IOS are you running? When you are entering the command is it giving you an error? Maybe you have to enter it the old way, from within priviledge mode type vlan database and then create your vlans. NOTE- That is the old way of doing things the correct way is from config then vlan vlan#.

Thank you again everyone for your assistance in this matter. Added the VLAN statements under VTP transparent mode and it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back