Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add a site in Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerDust

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2002
CA
Hi,

can anyone give me insight on how to handle the situation outlined below?
I have two physical locations A & B.
currently location A is where our sole Win2K Active directory Domain controller sits, location B has grown to the point that I would like to have another DC at location B to authenticate those users etc. I would like to be able to administer all the users and DC's from DC A - is this possible - if so, how do I set it up? and if not - what's the best alternative in this situation?

Thanks,

Aure is possible.

i would assume that the second DC will be in the same domain as the first. in which case any changes made on the DC in site A will replicate to Site B.

even if you wanted to have a new domain for site B (not recomended) you could still administer that domain so long as you are an enterprise administrator.

Cameron Eldridge

Yes, the second DC will be in the same domain. I have not configured two DC's for the same domain before and would appreciate any help anyone can offer. The two locations are linked via T1 & have a vpn established. Currently location B, where the second DC will go,is functioning as a workgroup of about 20 users. can anyone outline the procedure for me? E.g. 1). Install new server 2). promote to DC etc. etc.

Thanks

Assuming your VPN is handled by another box and that the VPN tunnel is up and running.

On a PC or the DC in Site A, run AD Sites and Services. Right Click on Sites and choose New Site. Give it whatever name you like. There's your new Site.

You will also need to create a Subnet for this new Site. In the same program Right Click on Subnets and choose New Subnet. Fill out the Subnet information.

Now Associate that Subnet with the new Site. Right Click on the Subnet and choose Properties. Choose your new Site from the list.

Now, any new server you run DCPROMO on, that has an IP in that subnet will be put into this Site. So, once you have your Site created, take your new server to this site. Configure it with an IP address for that subnet. Also, point its DNS entry back to the DNS server in Site A. Run DCPROMO on this server, and go through the steps. You may or may not want to make this server a DNS server, that's up to you. You will most likely want make a Global Catalog Server.

MikeL

Ahhh....thank you! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Is there any benefit to installing the DNS Server on the second DC? Or should I just point it to the DNS on DC1?Also, could you please provide me a little more detail on the Global Catalog Server? Then I can leave this thread in peace!

Thanks again,

-TD

DNS: If you install a DSN server in your second site, your users won't have to go across your WAN link to: to register with DNS, resolve DNS names, or to find network services. If you have a DNS server in your new site, you will only have DNS replication going across your WAN link, which is generally less traffic.

Global Catalog Servers: GCs hold a Read Only subset of your Active Directory Objects. To log into a Win2k Domain you need to access a GC server, to find out what Universal Groups you belong to. Generally you have at least one GC server in each site.

MikeL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back