Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add a power user group to XP Pro that was updated from XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbrowne

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2001
US
I recently updated a PC that had Windows XP Home edition installed to Windows XP Professional using an upgrade CD. The upgrade went well; however, after the upgrade there are still only two default user groups shown: users and administrators. Can anyone advise how to add a a power user group to this installation?

I expected the power user group to be added when the upgrade was performed. The upgrade cd updated the system to XP Pro, SP2 and I have downloaded all of the latest Windows updates and patches.

Start->Run. Type lusrmgr.msc. Once you get into the local user manager, you should have no trouble figuring out how to add users to the "Power User" group.

Hope this helps,
Martin

Thank you for your interest, but that's not the problem. I don't have a power user group. I need to create the group so that I can add users to it.

1. Log on to the Windows-based computer using an account with administrator rights.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
4. Double-click Local Users and Groups, and then right-click the Groups folder.

What happens if you then manually create a new group called "Power Users"?

so lusrmgr.msc just shows 2 groups? (but it does run?)

other featuers of Pro not in Home are available? (eg, remote desktop, being able to disable simplified sharing)?

anything pertinent in the security policies (run secpol.msc)?

I had forgotten to disable simplified sharing. Once that was taken care of, all was normal. I do now have a power users group and security tabs for files and folders. Thank you again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back