Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to add a new user in windows 2000 server ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

william6789

Technical User
Mar 14, 2003
CA
I am a new learner and want to ask a simple question.

I create a new user and add it in one local group, but I could not log in with this new user. If I put the user into administratotr's group, I can log in with this user.

I think may be I need to set authorization for the local group or the user? can anybody tell me how to set it in actove directory ?

Thanks in advance

How are you trying to add a new user? Are you using Active Directory Users and Computers? Or user accounts via control panel?

If you are using Active Directory User and Computers, and then are trying to log on to your Domain Controller as the user your created, you can't. User cannot logon locally to Domain Controllers.

Please provide some more info.

Jim Jim Webber
Network Administrator MCSE CNA

You say you created a user, but you didn't specify whether you created a local user or a domain user... this could be your problem.

Sounds like you created a domain user in Active Directory Users and Computers and tried logging on to the server using that account. That would most definately not work and would be a huge security risk if any joe blow domain user could log on to the server locally...

If you created a local user through Computer Management --> Local Users and Groups and the user could not log on to the server (locally) then it's an entirely different story.

What is it that you're attempting to do???

Thank you very much. I am learning how to create globle and local group in windows 2000 server, and I am trying a domoin user in Active Directive. Now I know why I could not log in through that way. If a created user can not log on locally, it is only the systems default group users , such as administrators, can log on locally? because when I put the user into administrator group, I can log on locally, why?

By the way, I have two domins in our system, I put another computer into my domin, but it appears in both of the domins? what wrong with that?

thanks.

There are 3 default group policies applied to 2000 server when you make it a domain controller: Domain, Domain Controllers, and local. Go into active directory and right click the domain>properties>group policy tab to access the domain GPO. right click the domain controller OU folder>properties>policy tab to access the domain controllers GPO (Here you will find the restrictions applied to the log on locally). The DC GPO is the last one applied (local, site, domain, ou order).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back