Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add a new button to Windows Explorer Toolbar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcginty

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
AU
Is there a way to add a new button to the Windows Explorer toolbar which launches a separate application?

Thanks

Mike

When you call out for help in the darkness, and you hear a voice in return, you're probably just talking to yourself again!

If by new you mean an installed XP tool -

On the View menu, point to Toolbars, and then click Customize.

To add a button, select a button from the list of Available toolbar buttons, and then click Add.
-or-
To remove a button, select a button from the list of Current toolbar buttons, and then click Remove.

Otherwise it gets harder.

Internet explorer branding
Lots you can do/change:

Windows Explorer is a bit harder still but have a look around here.

Looks like it might be a code and programmer type of job (but I'm not sure).

You could just make use of the Links Folder for your applications.

Thanks linney

I want to add a new button to launch an application I have written

Mike

When you call out for help in the darkness, and you hear a voice in return, you're probably just talking to yourself again!

Mike, I have the same desire... can't find any help anywhere either. I understand the diff between Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. I will keep on the search and if I ever find anything will post it here for you. In the meantime what I did is implement a Browser Helper Object that inserts a keyboard hook that grabs F12 when caught opens my band object. You could easily modify it to launch a program instead. Hey it's better than nothing! Let me know if you are interested and I'll hook you up with an example.

Thanks hackalot

I really would like to integrate to Win Explorer.

What I've done to get by is to have my minimised app launch a small agent window which when clicked, makes my app visible. Not perfect because the agent is always on the desktop which can be annoying like the Office help assistant. The appeal of integrating with WE is that the desktop remains tidy.

Keep in touch, as I will if I find anything

Mike

how come you guys dont just create a shortcut to your program and stick it in the quicklaunch toolbar? you can set the tasbar to never hide so you'll always have access to it. it wont really take up any space and it's as easy as one click.

My app actually enhances Windows Explorer therefore to make it integrated would be a big plus

Mike

I have my own band implementation (a panel like the search assistant) that is exposed on the view/explorer bar sub-menu from within WE and IE but I want it exposed better. I can put a button on the existing button bar for IE... but not WE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back