Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add a folder to the left bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

goofy78270

Technical User
Jul 24, 2007
US
How can I add a folder to the directory structure of a Sharepoint site and have it automatically show up on the left nav toolbar? I am looking for this to be dynamic as we generally add and remove about 80 folders a month from the directory structure. Currently we simply rename the folders, but our company is looking to have all previous folders archived and setting this up within SharePoint is very time consuming.

do you mean adding a document library or a list? what exactly are you storing?
Does it have to be in the left navigation? there are other options to display list/library information. If you have everything in a list/library, you can just add them as a web part and set up views to display what is needed.

carl
MCSD, MCTS:MOSS

Yes, we would prefer the folder, document library to be on the left navigation bar.

We want the left navigation to duplicate the folder structure on the drive from a pre determined point, so that any folder add to the drive structure will show in the navigation rather than having to create a new library or list each time.

BACKGROUND:
We create production reports for just about every facet of our business and currently we only maintain the previous month as creating new libraries or site is quite tedious. Now our upper management is requesting the users have the ability to view previous reports to develop trends.

I'm not sure that you can have it dynamically updated in the left nav without some custom coding. you may be able to replicate what you need using the Content Query Web Part, but that cannot reside in your left nav, instead it will go into one of the web part zones. Using this method, you will then only need 1 doc library and use your metadata to group and sort your reports.

carl

This suggestion was offered, but upper management desires the structure to be within the left nav so that they can expand the tree and still see where everything is.

Is it possible to replace the left nav with a js menu pointed to the drive location?

I'm not sure that you can modify the left nav without modifying the masterpage for the site.

carl

Can I simply detach the new page from the Master page and hide it then? If so, I have not been able to get this to work. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back