Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to add a column in excel that has formulas in the cells 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aishaa

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
CA
Hi!

I have this column that has an addition formula in all it's cells. Now I would like to add that column up but whenever I press the sum button it comes up with "can't add....."

Does anyone know how to do this one?

Ty
aisha

Can't understand that. How are the formulas in this column constructed? I am assuming you have figures in this column?

I am intrigued. If you would like, you can send me the file at:

hasitbakhda@yahoo.co.uk

and I'll take a look at it....

...and what Sum button?
Sounds like this is not an out-of-the-box problem. You have some kind of macro running. What do you see if you Alt+F11? Skip,
metzgsk@voughtaircraft.com

Skip - the SUM button is the "Autosum" button on the toolbar (looks like a backward E).

I can't find anything wierd about this problem listed anywhere and I have tried with my Excel 97 and 2000 to reproduce the problem, but it works fine for me.

Hasit - The reason I didn't think that it was Autosum (sigma) was that an error would be returned as #VALUE.
This message ("can't add.....") sounds like something else. Skip,
metzgsk@voughtaircraft.com

Hi - this is what I am trying to add up
column L looks like this from row 2 and downward:
=sum(b2,d2,f2,h2)
=sum(b3,d3,f3,h3)
=sum(b4,d4,f4,h4)

ok so when I try to add these cells up, it doesn't work.
How do I add this column up?

Ty
Aishaa

Hi,

First I would like to asked u a question, r u type any currency in ur figure? If yes, plz don't typed ur own currency better used provided by excel, which is have "$" sign. If u don't type any currency is very simple.

1) If ur answer is in column L, click autosum like this sign "E".
2) And drag ur mouse from b2 to h2.
3) After finished press Enter.

Make sure & check ur formula display, it's similar like this
"=sum(B2:H2)".

Hope can solve ur problem, bye-bye!

If you are trying to add up non-contiguous cells, then the formula you have is the correct one Aishaa. If you are trying to add up continguous cells, then the formula 273485 offered is the right one.

I am not sure why you are unable to add the cells up. As I said, if you send me the file I can take a look at what the problem is. Send it to hasitbakhda@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for responding............:)

I got it. It was =sum(b2:h2)
I couldn't drag it then autosum but instead had to enter it manually.
Aisha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back