Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to activate Ethernet connection on solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitanav

Programmer
Mar 10, 2003
IN
Hi ,

i installed SUN OS , while installing i had given IP and netmask and all required information . now installation is finished . but i cant telnet to the system .

please tell me the procedure to restart Ethernet

thanks and regards

Smitanav

Can you ping the box? I wonder if you're trying to telnet as root, but can't because you only have access as root from the console. If you edit the file /etc/default/login and comment (#) out the line beginning CONSOLE, you should find you can telnet as root, assuming all other variables are OK. Sorry I can't test this as I'm not at work at the moment.

Hi Ken ,

I did checked # in etc/default login in line to console.
but still i cant telnet or even Ping the system

thanks

Can you try an ifconfig -a and post the results here - there's no need to include the IP address details, just xxx them.

Do you have a /etc/defaultrouter listing?
Can you ping another machine from your new sun box?
If you get an error message something like: "Network Unreachable" add your router/gateway IP address to /etc/defaultrouter.

Yes i have etc/default router configuration. currently i am not on site thats why i cant send more details ( Ken Sorry to be late )
i can ping default GW . but no one can ping the system .

2 maro i can provide more detial s

thanks and regards

It's probably a routing/netmask issue. Check your /etc/defaultrouter file to ensure you have the correct router (which it sounds like you already have) and check your /etc/netmasks file to see if you have the appropriate NETWORK and NETMASK defined. Check out the new settings by rebooting- it's the easiest way to reset everything IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back