Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to access VisualFoxpro Database from ASP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangak

Programmer
Dec 12, 2000
IN
I am creating a DSN for the visual foxpro database on my server. When I am trying to access it from an asp page from another computer. I am getting this error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e37'

[Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]File 'user.dbf' does not exist.

At what point are you getting this error? When you are first trying to connect, and before you issue any commands against it?

Robert Bradley

I was having the same problem.

Here's the setup: NT server (4.0 / sp6), Novell Netware (4.11), IIS (5.0). Data files are free Visual Fox 6.0 tables on the Novell server. ASP data retrieval worked fine in test mode using Personal Web Server, but would not work at all in real life. Error messages indicated that the data files did not exist.

We searched the web and found a Microsoft PRB (Q236019) that stated: "The Visual FoxPro ODBC Driver can process queries in the background. This "background fetching" feature, also called progressive fetching or asynchronous fetching, should be disabled if the ODBC driver is being called by a multi-threaded application such as ASP."

OK. So we disabled the background fetch in the DSN setup, and the ASP page worked fine ... for about 20 minutes. After that, nothing. Nada. Bupkis. Not only that, the Cold Fusion (4.5)pages that have been going after these same VFP tables for many months don't work any longer. We have re-booted the server, re-created the DSN definitions, changed back to background fetch, all to no avail.

Tucker,

Have you had any luck. I used to use an access database that would call up various odbc datasource and return the results in a query which I could then publish through ASP feature. But ever since we have upgraded the datasource to Visual FoxPro 7, I have not been able to access the VFP tables through VFP although everything works fine in Access. Please let me know if you have found a solution

Tucker, EasyRider, Foxdev, anyone...
I notice this thread is quite old, so I imagine that you've either fixed the problem, or moved to a different data solution, BUT... if you did fix the problem, can you let me kow what you did? I can connect without issue to a Free Foxpro table using this connection string :

strConn = "Driver={Microsoft Visual FoxPro Driver};SourceType=DBF;SourceDB=c:\;Exclusive=No;Collate=Machine;"

when the table is in my root directory on the C drive. When I move the file to the networked F drive, I get the error that the DBF does not exist :

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e37'
[Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]File 'parts.dbf' does not exist.

I thought this might have something to do with the user permissions on the anonymous IIS user, so I switched anon user (for debug purposes) to be a admin user with total rights, and it had no effect on the issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

to Jax2

Windows Security (W98 SE and later) won't let you set up a data source with a network resource.

David,
I gave up trying. I don't think it is possible...
I think it is a security risk that isn't clearly documented. Good Luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back