Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to access the file summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenmierkalns

Programmer
May 10, 2001
CA
Does anyone know how to access the file summary for a particular file? I am aware of the function GetAttr, which retrieves the attributes such as read-only, normal, etc. However, I would like to take that a step further and actually get into the file summary tab.

I found the following code for .net, but cannot get it to work for vb 6 (it doesn't recognize the class). I don't know if there is a reference I can add.

Dim obFileVersionInfo As FileVersionInfo
obFileVersionInfo = FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo("c:\ftplogin.txt")

Does anyone know how to access file summary?

Thanks a lot. - Karen

Great - I tried that out. However what I am specifically looking for is the file summary for audio files. I may be able to go around it - but I'd like to confirm that there is no way to access the actual file summary for audio files.

Thanks again. - Karen

Which audio files? dsofile should work on any OLE Structured Storage file and, theoretically, on any file on NTFS under W2000/XP. It is not limited to Office documents.

Well, specifically I need the audio properties, such as duration. I can get the duration if I actually open the file with the media player control, but I don't want to have to do that. I simply want to access the properties where all I do is specify a file path. Using the dsofile I can't get the audio properties - all I get are the general/common properties.

I did find some code that is very complicated, and is specifically for MP3 files and nothing else. I don't want to use that.

Thanks again. - Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back