Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Access Outlook address book on web

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2005
US
My question actually goes a little deeper than that... please allow me to explain.

I have a friend that is still a novice when it comes to computers, but he's trying.

He has used AOL email for years, and no Outlook. I've been harping on him to switch to Outlook so that he can do some things I am very used to, like creating signatures, creating drafts, ability to use a domain name, etc.

I installed Outlook for him, and he has met it with some resistance. His main issue is that he travels (for pleasure) a lot and has a need to send emails frequently while he travels.

Consider this example: if he's on a cruise ship and needs to email, he's pretty much at the mercy of that ship's PCs configuration... that is, being able to install any software (like VNC) is pretty doubtful. He needs to be able access his email address book from that ship... which using AOL email allows him to do. But, boy, I personally would hate to use AOL (or any web-based email) exclusively... but maybe I have tunnel vision.

He doesn't want to invest in Exchange... so I'm trying to do two things:

1. Convey convincing reasons why Outlook is (my) preferred method, and

2. Devise a clever way he can make his Outlook address book available over the web.

Thoughts:

1. Can we make his Outlook available online WITHOUT Exchange?

2. Could SharePoint help here?

3. Would a cruise ship's computer allow him to install a web-based remote control program like GoToMyPC?

After discussing some of these options with him, he continues to come back to "With AOL email, I can get my email address book online from any computer in the world." And, actually, he's got a point.

And it's got me thinking, too... Why do _I_ use Outlook when I could use a (good) web-based email program from any computer with no setup, etc.? Perhaps I need a booster on the benefits of Outlook.

Any ideas?

He uses AOL, and I use GMail...

When at a PC of mine, I use OL for all business mail, for the added features like calendar etc...
For my personal mail I use OE.

When on the road, I can still access my mail & address book and only have to sync the Gmail adress books with my local address books occasionally.

With the large storage of Gmail, I have found that I can have access to any important mail that I have received form anywhere.

This is just what I do, not purely OL or OE but only when on the road and not near my laptop.

BTW: Doesn't your friend have a mobile PC??

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back