Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to access files on a Home Lan From the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorgMan

Programmer
Aug 8, 2003
US
Is there a way to access files/shares on a Linux samba server on a home LAN from any web browser and in a secure fashion ( kind of what the Mirra server does) ? I was reading about Davenport WebDAV-SMG Gateway but I did not understand if it worked over https. At it said the following:

***********************************************************To list the shares on an SMB server "smbserver" you would enter into your web browser:

"davserver" is the server on which Davenport is running (by default, the container will run on port 8080).

One question is would the i.p. address of the samba server go in place of "davserver" ? Would this i.p. address need to be a registered static i.p. address? I am relatively new at networking so I hope that these questions make sense.

Firstly i wold try and look for a VPN that would allow you to run on both Linux and Windows.

ALSO i do reccomend that you get a static ip ... saves you getting syck down the line.. it easer if you just have one to remember..

Yes, a friend here at work also said that I needed a static i.p. address or to use a dynamic name service such as DynDns.org. Thanks for the reply.

BorgMan,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back