Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How the $#^#$ do i share user lists? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottCybak

Programmer
Sep 29, 2000
CA
Hello,

All comps on our LAN are running win2k pro, the server is a bit beefier then the others.

Anyways, i'd like to make it so each of the client computers use the user/password list that is stored on the server.

Right now, i have to go to each computer and input all the names.. i KNOW this is stupid, but trying to teach myself at the same time i'm setting it up.. LMAO

Anyway, i saw something called 'Domain', is this what i need? I'm using a workgroup right now... One gold star to whoever helps me out on this thing.. Thanks in advance Scott Cybak
scott@athree.com

how is the server configuered???
if it`s a PDC then setting the user/password, up on the server, and configuring the clients to log onto the domain will solve the problem.
If the server is a member server, and so is part of a workgroup then you will have to reinstall the server to become a PDC.
hope this helps

I don't recall seeing a 'PDC' or server setting on the instal.. is there a way to do this without a formatting of the c: drive? Scott Cybak
scott@athree.com

You need to have a Primary Domain Controller setup in order to have centralized authentication. I am pretty sure that you can not do this with W2K Pro, you must have at least W2K Server Edition. If you have W2K server, then you must install Active Directory and then set it up as a Domain Controller. You can do this by going to Configure Server under Administrative tools. Then use the Wizards and have fun experimenting with it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back