Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How should we install Apache and PHP from practical point of view

Status
Not open for further replies.

akgta

Programmer
Jul 18, 2007
CA
How should we install Apache and PHP from practical point of view?

Should we:
1. Statically embed the PHP binary into the Apache binary, which has faster performance.

or

2. Installing Apache and PHP Using Apache's DSO Module

And also for the second scenario how often do we need recompile apache or add a module for development, practiacally speaking?

Thanks in advance.

I've always installed PHP as a DSO. I suspect that the difference in performance in negligible, but I've never tested it, or read about anyone who has.

When you develop your Web applications, if there are performance issues, there are many other points of improvement that can be made in coding and management of database connections and other resources.

If you compile PHP as a loadable module, you should never need to recompile Apache unless you specifically want to take advantage of features or bug fixes in a newer version of Apache. However, if you compile Apache with PHP statically linked, you would need to recompile Apache and PHP whenever you wanted to take advantage of new features or bug fixes in either Apache or PHP. In either case it should never actually be necessary to recompile, though.

--
-- Ghodmode

Give a man a fish and he'll come back to buy more... Teach a man to fish and you're out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back