Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How should I connect server ti internet? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
I have been looking for a solution to add my home W2k server to the internet and then allow clients of my domain access too.

I figure I can either purchase a DSL modem/router so I can connect each machine straight into it and use the firewall/dhcp/gateway features of it to allow internet access or I can purchase a DSL modem that connects to a NIC, install 2 NICs in the server, run as a NAT server and configure each client to connect to it.

Are these the best 2 ways of doing this are is there another (inexpensive) method? My concern with the NAT option is with the lack of security ie having the server connected straight to the Internet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

>I figure I can either purchase a DSL modem/router so I can >connect each machine straight into it and use the >firewall/dhcp/gateway features of it to allow internet >access

>or I can purchase a DSL modem that connects to a
>NIC, install 2 NICs in the server, run as a NAT server and >configure each client to connect to it.

The first methods the best, for the second then you would need some kind of software firewall on the server. I would stay away from the application based firewalls for this (ie.zonealarm) and go for a port based solution.

The 3rd solution would be to use a linux based software firewall/router, you would need 2 nics and a 486/pentium machine. ( These linux firewalls are pretty damn good and just as good as expensive hardware solutions.

Hi there

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking of using a Linux firewall as that is what we have in place at work. However, knowing very little about Linux I wouldn't be able to set this up myself.

I don't believe a software firewall on a server is adequate protection either but I was thinking that a combination of 1 and 2 would be possible? i.e. that only the server would connect through the DSL modem/router and that clients would connect through the server which in turns passes through the routers firewall, is this possible or is it just a waste of a DSL modem/router if you are not going to connect your LAN through it anyway?

Hi,

>Thanks for your reply, I was thinking of using a Linux >firewall as that is what we have in place at work. >However, knowing very little about Linux I wouldn't be >able to set this up myself.

You don't need to know anything about linux to set IPCop or Smoothwall up. They have done all the hardwork. Very easy.

>I don't believe a software firewall on a server is >adequate protection

Not for a corporate environment, but as a home user your main concern is really script kiddies, and microsoft bugs. A good software firewall should cover these up.

> i.e. that only the server would connect through the DSL >modem/router and that clients would connect through the >server which in turns passes through the routers firewall, >is this possible or is it just a waste of a DSL >modem/router if you are not going to connect your LAN >through it anyway?

Its a bit of a waste really. In this scenario the server is only protected by the software firewall, also the clients are having to through two hops to get to the internet. The only advantage is that the clients are protected by 2 firewalls - which isn't really neccessary. Also it would be more of a pain to setup.

Hi ashpp

Thanks for your advice, I though that it would be a waste in that config but it's good to hear from someone who knows more than I do.

Thanks for the linux tip, I have an old celeron PC that has red hat 7.3 on it (was trying to learn some of the basics) so maybe I can bring that into use at some point.

Cheers

you could use coyote linux, it runs completely off of a floppy disk and has no need for a hd. you could even run it off of a 386 or greater. also you dont' need to know any linux programming.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back